Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

I'm $13k in and still unresolved, please help!

Old 01-25-2021, 10:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm $13k in and still unresolved, please help!

Thanks in advance for any feedback/tips/guidance this community is able to provide!

I've spent $13k across 2 dealerships and a local mechanic to diagnose an issue... replaced transmission, rear axle seals, rear wheel speed sensors, cam position sensor, etc and still no clue what's going on. I browse the forums here and see it could be something simple but I'm at the end of my rope with this thing but can't stand watching that 13k go out the window with no solution.

Will save the sob story on how we got here and let you know where Im at:

2013 JKUS - 115k miles
While driving ~60-80mph on highway for 10+ miles, my CEL and TSC lights come on and a chime is heard. While TSC light stays solid, I am unable to get much power to the wheels (especially on incline). I can pull over, turn off vehicle and turn back on, and TSC light goes away so that I can drive normal again but CEL stays on.

Same code continues to appear after recent dealer fix (P0394 Camshaft Sensor bank 2) and a new code was picked up this weekend (P0520 Oil Pressure Sensor).

I can provide as much detail as anyone needs, please just let me know how and I can help you help me and I'll do whatever. Thanks again for your time!!

Old 01-25-2021, 11:49 AM
JK Newbie

Just got a call back from the dealer that they want to inspect certain screws are tightened to spec. inside the intake that could cause a loss of oil pressure if loose.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

How can we help without knowing what all the dealer's did for $13k...hell sounds like they are just throwing your $$ at it rather than having a qualified tech check it.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Damn, that sucks! Could have paid for most of an L96 LS 6.0 from MoTech for that.
The following users liked this post:
Reddout99 (02-05-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Nov '19 - Jeep turned off while entering a highway ramp that was on incline. I curved around and as I started ascent, jeep lost all power and I pulled over > towed to dealership (dealer 1).

Dealer says battery was dead and terminal cables were loose, so replaced battery and tightened them- then sent me on my way. Stopped for lunch on the way home, Jeep died again while trying to leave lunch spot parking lot. Jeep turns back on but sounds like it never stops trying to crank so I turn off and have it towed back to my house where it sat for 5 months while I debated what to do.

May '20 - I take it back to dealer with a little cash saved up thinking the issue would be major engine/transmission > dealer informs that they've been unable to replicate any of these issues im describing. Have me take 15 min test drive with a tech and nothing happens. Dealers finishes inspection and says "nothing wrong, just get a tune up (spark plugs/fluids/filters), new brakes, and maybe some tires and I'm good to go". I'm skeptical but relieved so there goes first $4k

June '20 - I take Jeep on first 15+ mile trip since service and while on a hilly stretch of road, the TSC and CEL come on and I experience the first "loss of power" where I can't increase speed but jeep isn't turning off. I pull over, turn off and turn back on, drives normal again until I hit another big hill. Do same rotation and make it to destination. Drive home safely and take to dealer again following Monday.

Now, dealer says it's transmission related but to diagnose will cost close to same as new trans, ~$7k.

July ' 20 - I'm pissed so I take to local mechanic where we get other vehicles serviced. I ask them how much for new trans (instead of asking for second opinion) and proceed with $5k replacement bc of short term cost saving (TERRIBLE MOVE, you all know this).

I get Jeep back from local shop, go on test drive > experience same loss of power and same lights on dash come on, problem not fixed. I take it back to local and he starts checking codes. Codes are showing the Camshaft position sensor bank 2 error and he thinks it could just be harness. Doesn't charge me but says he replaced bank 1 on accident then replaced bank 2 as well so 2 new sensors allegedly, but on final test drive, jeep has same exact issue, but did take a bit longer to engage.

Sept '20 - Ready to complete this thing, I revisit local shop to find it's been sold and previous owner has moved states without much communication on existing work orders. I give up and buy gifts for holidays instead

Jan '21 - I take to new Jeep dealership (dealer 2) and ask their diagnosis/opinion. They can't replicate the loss of power, not sure why these lights are coming on but during multipoint inspection they see rear axle seal leaking. Leak is all over rear wheel speed sensors, and they say this could be causing it. I pay ~$2k to have these seals, bearings, sensors and whatever else is in there replaced.

Test drive > you got it, not fixed. They say, Ohhhhh its the camshaft position sensor bank 2! I tell them already been replaced, they say "no sir, this is the original". Im pissed and pay again, $500. Test drive > still broke, now new code with oil pressure sensor

I know there's like 1.5k unaccounted for in there and I'm chalking those up to rounding errors. Plus all the costs associated with what I'm hearing from the wife. I know im the dummy in this situation but I want to be the dummy with working jeep again.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 474 Likes on 425 Posts

Seems to be on a hill that you have issues. Is my assumption correct? Lets start there as your fuel pump is at the back of the tank.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sixty4x4:
Airborne72 (02-04-2021), babao'riley (01-26-2021), Cbandy7777 (04-05-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

The first few times I experienced the loss of power, I was on a hill. Eventually, I would experience this even on long flat stretches of road if my sustained speed was ~70mph for 10+ miles
Old 01-26-2021, 03:57 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Suggest searching here (JKF) for P0394. I saw 5 threads, two in particular had some interesting stuff on problems with cam phasing and related wiring. A TSB was mentioned as well. Looks like the same symptoms you have...
Old 01-26-2021, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Replacing rusted out shield for my gas tank shop owner asked me hows the tank? Good question asked him what else since bolts hold shield up tank is loose bingo fuel pump and fuel level float will be replaced also any plumbing should i be ordering with this?W.U.RUBICON 2012 94000 miles.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Could be fuel is getting into the evap...system. If I fill mine full with the piece of shit designed Genright tank that happens when I turn a corner.

Quick Reply: I'm $13k in and still unresolved, please help!