Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

IDIOT here. Please help. KC Lights

Old 06-11-2012, 11:36 PM
JKX
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IDIOT here. Please help. KC Lights

I installed KC 120 watt lights on the front of my Rubi. AWESOME. WORKED GREAT!! Then I decided to tap another pair of small 50 watt lights into the harness (+\- into the wires between the KC lights and the relay) so they all operate from the same switch. You guessed it. Blown 20amp fuse after about 2 minutes of operation. Is there a quick fix for this or do I need to rewire to a separate switch and harness? I was wondering if this is as simple as switching to a different relay? Obviously I am a rank armature with electrical wiring... Thanks in advance!
Old 06-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

I'd put the second pair of lights on it's own relay (it's own fused power wire to the battery). You could then tap a second wire from you switch and it will run both lights.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vin
You could then tap a second wire from you switch and it will run both lights.
X2 - Quick fix = Run new harness. You only need one wire from the switch to run two relays.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help?

Just my .02 but I'd homerun everything separate with relay and fuses so if one thing grenades you don't lose other add-ons.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:26 PM
JKX
JK Newbie

Thanks all. I will build another harness for the set of 50s. : )

Quick Reply: IDIOT here. Please help. KC Lights