Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Ideas on jack space in the trunk....

Old 02-01-2011, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chaos_construction
mount em to the speaker box with metal flashing estending from the box ofer the edges as a rain deflector.. but then your incorprating a sharp edge hazard that would need to be adressed

leave em where they are and attach weather stipping to the bottom of the storage area lid for waterproofing

just some ideas
Great idea and iv seen a lot of people do that mounting them to their subwoofer boxes....but they are just out in the open then for someone to steal even If I put some sort of deflector you are talking about a thief would find it way to shinny to pass up
Old 02-01-2011, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fandango777
I thought about that! but the issue is the amount of wires and the fact that the seats move so much especially when someone climbs in the back seat...

The technician is one of the best car audio installers in the US and he said it would be to difficult for what its worth because the amps have so many wires running to them and yada yada thanks though!!! hmmmm
FWIW I have 2 amps, one under each front seat and have had no issues. There is plenty of room for my 3543 and a MRP-M500. Unless the driver is 4'5" and the rear passenger is 6'7" I think your good
Old 02-01-2011, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

the new 2011s fold all the way up to where the headrest is resting on the dash...not the same as older models I think. And the installation was done by ABT electronics great guys over there! And they really do know there stuff so I agree with the seats being the best place but not on a 2011 two door
Old 02-01-2011, 10:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say sell the current amps you have and get marine ones. Your interior carpet of the jeep is designed to be removed easily for cleaning. If you get rained on once with out your top on I'll bet the farm there WILL be water accumulated in that cubby hole.

Oh if you don't bolt that box down ASAP I'll bet you come out one day and it sprouts feet and walks away. Unfortunately Jeeps are the easiest vehicle on the market to break into.

Last edited by whpony96; 02-01-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whpony96
I say sell the current amps you have and get marine ones. Your interior carpet of the jeep is designed to be removed easily for cleaning. If you get rained on once with out your top on I'll bet the farm there WILL be water accumulated in that cubby hole.

Oh if you don't bolt that box down ASAP I'll bet you come out one day and it sprouts feet and walks away. Unfortunately Jeeps are the easiest vehicle on the market to break into.
yea im trying to figure out a way to bolt it down but at the same time if I have my back seat in and the softtop down It will be covered...hopefully no one snoops around!!!
Old 02-02-2011, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

You could mount the amps under your back seat, or even on the bottom of the back seat... it shouldn't take too much modification to get them to fit. Then you'd have more protection from the elements. And with that box in the back, you'd probably rarely (if ever) have the need to flip up your back seat.

From this thread:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=cobra+install

It looks like there's a fair amount of room in the center console to install an amp... you'd just have to figure out a way to get the air flowing in/out of there...

As for the already mentioned ideas, I like under the driver's seat and behind the glove box...

edit: to answer your original question: I don't think there's a way to keep the amps where you have them, have them be protected from the elements (or theft), and still have enough air circulation to keep them cool. I suggest moving the amps then bolting down your speaker box, or replace the speaker box with a one of those powered sub enclosures, like the Infinity Basslink... But then you wouldn't need TWO! PDX amps, but you'd only need to relocate one...

Last edited by BioHazard; 02-02-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been debating amp placement myself. In my dad's TJ under the driver's seat was great, but he never drops the top all the way. I've already had some puddles under the front seats from hard rain. I also remove doors and top. I'm probably just going marine grade amps under the seat.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dogmehC
You could mount the amps under your back seat, or even on the bottom of the back seat... it shouldn't take too much modification to get them to fit. Then you'd have more protection from the elements. And with that box in the back, you'd probably rarely (if ever) have the need to flip up your back seat.

From this thread:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=cobra+install

It looks like there's a fair amount of room in the center console to install an amp... you'd just have to figure out a way to get the air flowing in/out of there...

As for the already mentioned ideas, I like under the driver's seat and behind the glove box...

edit: to answer your original question: I don't think there's a way to keep the amps where you have them, have them be protected from the elements (or theft), and still have enough air circulation to keep them cool. I suggest moving the amps then bolting down your speaker box, or replace the speaker box with a one of those powered sub enclosures, like the Infinity Basslink... But then you wouldn't need TWO! PDX amps, but you'd only need to relocate one...
I dont think a powered sub enclosure would be able to mesh very well with my sound system. Premium grade parts were used here to ensure highest quality of sound (in a jeep its a joke haha) but really I have turned this as loud as possible without starting to cry from it hurting so bad and not even a little distortion occurred. I still had plenty of volume to play with as well. So a powered enclosure im not sure could keep up with what I have installed. There is a LOT of watts running here...

That would be sick installing them behind the glove box and steering wheel...im not sure they would fit though they are small but big at the same time if that makes any sense I cant exactly just take them apart if they dont fit and stuff all the parts in because of obvious reasons like warranty and heat. But il talk to my installation guys to see if they could measure it out

I couldn't mount them to my seat because I do make it tumble sometimes and take it out along with the subwoofer when carrying a lot of stuff. The sub just has a banana clip so I can pop it in and out of the jeep when needed just like the seat

Seems like for everything we come up with here there is an issue. I have some options to explore still like the glove box and steering wheel. as well as figuring out a way if possible to water proof and vent the jack cubby at the same time...hmmmm

thanks for all the advice so far guys
Old 02-03-2011, 08:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MADDOGsrfr81
I've been debating amp placement myself. In my dad's TJ under the driver's seat was great, but he never drops the top all the way. I've already had some puddles under the front seats from hard rain. I also remove doors and top. I'm probably just going marine grade amps under the seat.
as you have read....marine just seems like a good idea if you have a 2dr. There just isn't a dry safe place for them to be mounted.... But 4drs I would find or build a spot because of all that extra room.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Box from Quadratec.

ht tp://www.quadratec.com/products/14136_3902.htm

I saw this and thought it might fit your situation... it fits in the rear of a 2-door, can be bolted down, has mounting space for one amp, and you can probably weather proof the top of it... Plus you can see the speaker or the amp, even if the top is off. You'd just need to move the second amp... perhaps to under the Driver's seat...

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Ideas on jack space in the trunk....