Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Icom IC-7000

Old 12-15-2007, 04:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Icom IC-7000

Anyone install an Icom IC-7000 in his/her Jeep yet? Where did you mount the front panel and where did you put the radio? Any pictures? I'm currently using one of these as my base station rig, but think I may get more use out of it in the Jeep.

Thanks,
KC0VXL
Old 12-15-2007, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

I have a Yaesu 857D mounted in a Tuffy single compartment overhead console. I'm not sure of the dimensions on the IC-7000 but the Yaesu is a pretty tight fit (length wise). I had to drill a couple holes in the front of the compartment to allow the coax connectors a little room. In a nutshell, it works great. It's up out of the way and easy to see/use.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Default pictures please!

How bout some pictures? Where did you mount the antenna? What antenna(s) are you using? I just traded for the JK and am trying to decide where to mount all of the ham gear. TNX from KE4RG
Old 02-13-2008, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm thinking about the IC-7000 also. DId you get it mounted? where did you put both units? How does it fair for mobile operation?
Old 02-13-2008, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

Thats alot of radio for a jeep, especially if you have a soft top. I think one of your other posts said you wanted to be able to move it tnto the house. Remember, if you split the unit amnd mount the head seperately it will not be practicle to bring it inside.

If you do go this route make sure that wherever you mount the body has good air flow. These radios get hot, especially when transmitting. The head unit could be mounted in alot of locations. again, take a good look at the RAM mounts.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I do not have an Icom, But I mounted my Yaesu FT100 Control head on the dash and the radio under ther drivers seat. Pics in my gallery.
Maybe this will give you some ideas.

Quick Reply: Icom IC-7000