Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

I need a GPS guru for advice

Old 03-21-2007, 07:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a GPS guru for advice

I'd like to buy a GPS with the following:
1) Large display- >3" x 5"
2) Portable from Jeep to Jeep
3) Obviously a unit which uses Topo maps for off roading( I really liked the Garmin Nuvi 680 until I found out it woun't support topo maps )
Price really isn't a consideration - I don't want to pay a jillion dollars but I want a good sound unit or set -up.
Thank you for your input and I'm open to suggestions also.
Lynn
Old 03-21-2007, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think the Garmin Trail Guide (Jeep specific) or the Garmin Quest 2 (not jeep specific) are both really awesome if you can shell out 750+. The Trail Guide has a Jeep mount that rests on top of the center dash area with a mini speaker set for it. Runs street maps, topo, etc. I also think the Garmin Rhinos are pretty cool. The handhelds have big enough screens now days that you can use them in the car with ease.

-Living Still
Old 03-21-2007, 10:10 PM
JK Super Freak

What's the foam for? Is that the flapping roof fix?
Old 03-22-2007, 05:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by biglynny
I'd like to buy a GPS with the following:
1) Large display- >3" x 5"
2) Portable from Jeep to Jeep
3) Obviously a unit which uses Topo maps for off roading( I really liked the Garmin Nuvi 680 until I found out it woun't support topo maps )
Price really isn't a consideration - I don't want to pay a jillion dollars but I want a good sound unit or set -up.
Thank you for your input and I'm open to suggestions also.
Lynn
Try this one, I have the 500c on my bike:

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Aut...e/iWAY600C.asp

Waterproof, shock proof and easily seen in sun light and should be available any day now.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:14 AM
JK Jedi Master

did you look at the garmin 650, they are coming out with it next month, its a 4.75" wide, touch screen. its fits you your front pocket, very thin.

It actually speaks the street names. the price is going to be around $600 when its released, but they also make a little smaller version the 350 that just has a smaller screen. One can be had for aroun $400

I'm not sure if they'll support topo maps..
Old 03-22-2007, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

276 c, I have had it for over a year. No problems and does everything I need, even altitude. I even take it hikiing. plan your trip on the computer and download it to the GPS.
Scott
Old 03-22-2007, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well the screen diminsions you gave don't match up to my Garmin 60CX but otherwise the 60 CX does everything you said. I have the Street navigation kit and it came with a 3M sticky mount and bean bag mount. I hard mounted the sticky mount to a pro fit mount I fabed up. I use the bean bag and power plug in my wifes Grand Chrokee overland. I have a 1 Gb Micro SD card with half the us in street level turn by turn and topo. Chris
Old 03-25-2007, 01:42 PM
JK Newbie

I too was looking for a good portable GPS system for work. After reading a lot of reviews, I decided to buy a Garmin C580. It has a lot of great features. Touchscreen, bluetooth, a voice that announced streets by name, you can upload custom points of interest, they have alerts for speed zones and safety cameras, you can get movie times, and it even tells you gas prices at local gas stations. I've only had it for a week but its one of the best investments I've ever made. Got it for $585 from Comp-U-Plus
Old 03-25-2007, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smack2020
276 c, I have had it for over a year. No problems and does everything I need, even altitude. I even take it hikiing. plan your trip on the computer and download it to the GPS.
Scott
Yeah and don't forget the tide table.

Quick Reply: I need a GPS guru for advice