Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

HUGE HID issues

Old 01-26-2011, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
I realy do not think that this could be a problem. There are two positive switched circuits in the harness. There is a ground for the relay. And a ground for each ballast. How would you recomend swapping the polarity on these?

This trick is used to smooth out an oscillating circuit. Most people who experience this problem report a flickering lamp. I believe the OP had other problems.
1st hand experience, on my Dodge Charger my fog lights would not turn off. By simply using a screw driver to release the clips on the wires to the bulb itself, I released them from the weatherproof connector and slipped them out and switched them. After that, the fogs turned off and on when commanded, no other changes were made.

Their is A LOT of information on the internet about this problem, it is only to the Dodge and Chrysler aspect, but it could be related to Jeeps too. Depending on the ballast mfg and other variables it could be an issue which is why I mentioned it.

Like stated, just because it plugs and plays doesn't mean it is set up right for your application. This could be why the relay coil is not collapsing when powered off and is worth looking into.

Really though:
Old 01-26-2011, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the kit wired directly to the battery, without the relay harness. I was assuming that the control box had the a relay built in, hence the constant power hook-up. And it is grounded directly to the battery. I haven't ventured to do anything with a capacitor yet, as I haven't had time.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1st hand experience, on my Dodge Charger my fog lights would not turn off. By simply using a screw driver to release the clips on the wires to the bulb itself, I released them from the weatherproof connector and slipped them out and switched them. After that, the fogs turned off and on when commanded, no other changes were made.
I guess that I could see that. Maybe the lamps have a built in igniter. But I would be reluctant to do that. You would think that the manufacturer would know the polarity of the intended system of opperation.

I have the kit wired directly to the battery, without the relay harness.
Sooo, Are you saying that you are not using the recomended devices to properly opperate this system?
Old 01-26-2011, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I guess that I could see that. Maybe the lamps have a built in igniter. But I would be reluctant to do that. You would think that the manufacturer would know the polarity of the intended system of opperation.
Well you would think but most of the cheap ebay kits and such are universal to most cars, just some reason Dodge and Chrysler are backwards and that is the only make that requires the flip. Some specific HID kits are correct but they cost more $$$$

Sooo, Are you saying that you are not using the recomended devices to properly opperate this system?
I have this very same feeling, I think a picture of your set-up really is in order to help eliminate all this guess work.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Passenger side ballast

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37094786@N02/5390050079/
Battery connection

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37094786@N02/5390658186/

Control box

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37094786@N02/5390658338/
And the kit was installed exactly like this, with the exception of the error eliminators between the ballasts and the harness coming off of the control box.

Last edited by blancolex300; 01-26-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

Then you may possibly need the error eliminators.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Then you may possibly need the error eliminators.
The error eliminators are installed in my situation, not in the diagram
Old 01-26-2011, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well that helps clear things up a bit. I'm not too familiar with the bi-xenon kit using that control box and how it all operates. I wonder if the control box is just an enclosed relay of sorts.
In any case, the set-up is a bit different and I don't know about flipping the wires now. Remembering how I did it, the fogs had no harness, the OEM connector plugged direct into the HID ballast, then the HID ballast had the 2 wires to the bulb. The bulb wires (or ballast wires which ever was easier) were swapped to fix my problem.

I can now see with your set-up it is different so my point of swapping the wires seems like it will be invalid, although I would still check just to be sure that the positive wire off the OEM connector is matching the positive wire to the bi-xenon control box, just for laughs.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:05 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by blancolex300
The error eliminators are installed in my situation, not in the diagram
Ok. Then you are back to the meter. The new parts should be covered by the manufacturer. But the Jeep is all you. You need to turn the system on and wait untill it malfunctions. Then use a meter at the harnes conection ( without unpluging it ) to determine which side the problem is on. Nobody can help you untill this is done.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good point, however it is hard to check with a meter goin 65 on the highway........., and if it does pull the stay on bulls**t, then the meter it shall be!

Quick Reply: HUGE HID issues