Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

HUGE HID issues

Old 01-25-2011, 11:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blancolex300
That is a good thought, but I didn't have an issue for the first day or so. If the computer was out thinking the headlights, I would imagine the kit would have acted up immediately.
Agreed. Although my thoughts on the computer are correct. This has been proven time and time again by other Jeepers trying to improve their headlights. I can not explain why yours took so long to think that you have a problem. Or even if that is the problem. The only way to tell for sure is with a good meter.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without actually seeing how everything is wired it will be hard to say what the problem is. You mentioned direct to the battery, what did you hook up direct to battery? Perhaps you have a wire crossed up for the relay and instead of providing switching power to the relay you are providing constant power to the ballast?
Old 01-25-2011, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

That wouldn't explain why they stayed on for 3-4 hours on Sat. night though. And why they would only go off and then on intermittently.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Super Freak

That wouldn't explain why they stayed on for 3-4 hours on Sat. night though. And why they would only go off and then on intermittently.
Like above message it might not be a consistent power to the ballast so it turns off. That's why I said how was it wired too cause that might be it. Orrrrr faulty product shorting out
Old 01-25-2011, 04:16 PM
JK Junkie

The PLC in the Jeep has control over the lights. Fault conditions can cause PLC's to do strange things. Also, a low output current to a relay could have cause it to stay pulled in. But, once released, would not be enough to reseal the coil. We can speculate about diffrent things all day. But someone will have to lay their hands on the equipment. And observe some hard facts.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

I'm not familiar with the DDM harness, but have installed many HID kits. Is there a separate + switch lead wire that you need to splice in somewhere? or is it a plug-n-play with the switch lead tied into the stock connector?
If the wiring harness looks like this>
And everything is properly grounded/connected I guess it would likely be a computer issue. Maybe disconnect the battery and let it reset

Last edited by runit3; 01-25-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:15 AM
JK Junkie

runit3
I'm not familiar with the DDM harness, but have installed many HID kits. Is there a separate + switch lead wire that you need to splice in somewhere? or is it a plug-n-play with the switch lead tied into the stock connector?
If the wiring harness looks like this
Well there is no aftermarket switch shown in this drawing. And that would make sense. After all this is a headlight system. So you would want to use your OEM switch to control it.

And everything is properly grounded/connected I guess it would likely be a computer issue. Maybe disconnect the battery and let it reset
A computer reset would only be a temporary fix at best. Untill the problem is corrected, realy no need.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Well there is no aftermarket switch shown in this drawing. And that would make sense. After all this is a headlight system. So you would want to use your OEM switch to control it.
I've never seen an aftermarket system require a seperate switch. As stated above, most systems I've installed have a single plug that plugs into the passenger side (could be drivers too, but I've only seen them passenger side) OEM headlight connector.
This OEM connector then supplies the switching power to the aftermarket relay set-up. When you turn the headlights on, the OEM connector sends power to the aftermarket relay which triggers the HID ballast.

So aside from the OEM connector, you have the AM relay which has a fused link to battery and a ground wire. Then from there it is all plug and play into the ballasts and then the 2 connectors to the HID bulbs.

If the OP installed everything correctly (which we can only assume) then I would say whoever said the computer is the culprit would be right. Is there a capcitor jumpered in the relay? This could be the easiest fix to try first as it has solved many light flickering issues and other similar problems.

Also, a proper ground is really necessary in the system, make sure you are using a very clean and solid ground. It is possible for some reason the relay itself is bad and the coil is not collapsing when powered off.

My suggestion would be to swap out the relay (they are cheap enough at under $5 and it is good to have one handy) or try the capcitor jumper trick. The capcitor should go between the ground and switched positive terminals on the relay IIRC.

I think the capcitor I used was a 470 micro farad 35VDC electrolytic capacitor FYI.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I also want to add that this is very important. Not knowing your install or the specs of your system, the polarity CAN BE BACKWARDS!

Just because it is plug and play and clicks together DOES NOT MEAN it is right. I've seen the problem on Dodges where the polarity is backwards and this causes the ballasts to stay on even when powered off. If I were you, I'd look into this ASAP. Simple enough to do with a multimeter and you won't be running in circles trying to figure out what is wrong. When working with electrical systems, you need to know what is positive and what is negative and be sure that the aftermarket connectors are set-up the same way.
Again Dodge has been known to have this problem with the polarity reversed. The wires are easy enough to release from the clips, so I'd suggest flipping them to see if it solves the issue.

Also here is a pic of the way the capcitor attaches to the relay harness for those that don't ant to search:

So check 3 things:
1. Check to be sure you have a solid ground for the relay.
2. See if the relay is clicking at all, maybe swap relays and add a capcitor
3. Check the polarity of the wires, reverse them if necessary.

Installing a HID kit isn't always a simple plug and play, you still need to do some testing and research to make sure it is installed right or you will end up like problems you have.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	capcitor.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	121675  

Last edited by MyMopar; 01-26-2011 at 03:57 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:39 AM
JK Junkie

I also want to add that this is very important. Not knowing your install or the specs of your system, the polarity CAN BE BACKWARDS
I realy do not think that this could be a problem. There are two positive switched circuits in the harness. There is a ground for the relay. And a ground for each ballast. How would you recomend swapping the polarity on these?

Is there a capcitor jumpered in the relay? This could be the easiest fix to try first as it has solved many light flickering issues and other similar problems
This trick is used to smooth out an oscillating circuit. Most people who experience this problem report a flickering lamp. I believe the OP had other problems.

Quick Reply: HUGE HID issues