Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

HUGE HID issues

Old 01-24-2011, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HUGE HID issues

I installed the DDM hi/lo kit for the headlights on Friday, and started having issues on Sat. night. Turned the Jeep off, went inside, and noticed about 3 hours later that the lights were staying on. I removed the fuse and went to bed, as it was about 1am. Went out yesterday morning and put the fuse back in, and the lights were off. Turned them back on via the switch, and they stayed on. I pulled fuse again and they went out, put it back in and the lights came back on, with the switch off. I checked out the connector that goes into the control module that goes and it was tight, unplugged it and then plugged it back in, and the lights went off and started acting properly.

Later in the evening, I am driving home from ME (about 100+ miles away from home), MY HEADLIGHTS SHUT OFF. So I am driving on a dark highway with just fogs, not good. They kicked back on about 2 minutes later, the lights kicked back on. This happened about 4 times between ME and home. Any ideas? The plug is connected to the factory headlight plug, power and ground are sourced directly from the battery. I am using the error eliminators, doubt that would have anything do to with it. I am waiting on a reply from DDM. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are u running a relay or anything?
Old 01-25-2011, 03:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Feasterdef
Are u running a relay or anything?
No, just have it hooked up the way that made sense, directly to the battery.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Relay ???

I'm not very familiar with the HID kits; but I think the kit comes with a built in relay. I believe the "eliminators" are necessary to protect the headlamp circuit from the relay coil collapsing voltage spike. You wouldn't need the "error eliminators" if you had no relay..... just my logic trail on HID's; from what I've gathered here. I think I've read that others have had similar problems with the DDM kits; and, that DDM has taken care of it with good customer support. I'd wait for them to get back to you. Keep us posted.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

I have the same kit. Never had a problem but also I know the h13 headlights don't require a positive hard wire to the battery. Are yours bi xenon or hi /low with halogen bulbs for high beams?
Old 01-25-2011, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

They are the bi-xenon kit. I am still awaiting a reply from DDM. I will keep y'all posted.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Hook them into the factory harness on one side then plug in directly in to the bulb on the other. Run power to them from the battery. Is that your set up or individuslly to the battery? I have done it on 3 cars. Jeep, BMW, and a ford. No issues. I used vvme
Old 01-25-2011, 09:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not very familiar with the HID kits; but I think the kit comes with a built in relay. I believe the "eliminators" are necessary to protect the headlamp circuit from the relay coil collapsing voltage spike. You wouldn't need the "error eliminators" if you had no relay..... just my logic trail on HID's
The relays might have spike protection. I dont realy know. But the thinking behind the "eliminators" is because the Jeep computer is very smart. And it knows what kind of light bulb was installed from the factory. And if the computer does not see a load that looks almost identical to the OEM designed load, the circuit is turned off. Sometimes it will turn back on to recheck the load. But will turn back off if it isn't correct.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SilverJK12
Hook them into the factory harness on one side then plug in directly in to the bulb on the other. Run power to them from the battery. Is that your set up or individuslly to the battery? I have done it on 3 cars. Jeep, BMW, and a ford. No issues. I used vvme
That is how I wired it. Pretty self explanatory once you get the harness all laid out. One plug for the headlight switch, and then +12v and ground.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
The relays might have spike protection. I dont realy know. But the thinking behind the "eliminators" is because the Jeep computer is very smart. And it knows what kind of light bulb was installed from the factory. And if the computer does not see a load that looks almost identical to the OEM designed load, the circuit is turned off. Sometimes it will turn back on to recheck the load. But will turn back off if it isn't correct.
That is a good thought, but I didn't have an issue for the first day or so. If the computer was out thinking the headlights, I would imagine the kit would have acted up immediately.

Quick Reply: HUGE HID issues