Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

How to wire factory fog lamps?

Old 03-22-2022, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to wire factory fog lamps?

New Jeep owner here, just got a 2009 Wrangler that has a factory front bumper including fog lamps, but the fog lamps aren't wired at all. This Jeep was never wired for fog lamps, so there's no switch on the stalk. What I want to do is buy pigtails for the fog lamps and then connect them so that they turn on with the low beam LED headlights. Don't want to add a new switch. I'm hoping that I can simply splice into the low beam wires for juice and run ground to chasis. Can anyone offer some pointers or just point me to a good post? Thanks!
Old 03-22-2022, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Welcome BTW. Your Jeep most likely has the fog light wiring in the harness out to the front. And should be the same at the stalk on the column. Not sure if it will be plug and play or will the dealer or someone with WiTech sw have to enable the lights. Perhaps JScan can do it as well. I attach a 2008 wiring diagram for your perusal.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fog Light wiring.pdf (774.4 KB, 16 views)
The following users liked this post:
DAK2009 (03-22-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Sixty4x4 for the diagram. After looking at the wiring, I decided to not cut into any existing wiring, and instead wired the fog lamps independently using a fuse tap. Here is a link to an excellent thread explaining how to use the fuse tap:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...source-191552/

I installed a new switch in the left side 12V outlet on the lower dash panel. After popping off the lower panel (mine has a little factory storage net on it) for access, I carefully removed the outlet, disconnected the 12V plug from the back, then removed the outlet from the black plastic sleeve that holds it in the dash. I bought a switch from autozone that almost fit in the sleeve, with a little sanding it fit perfect, nice clean install back in the dash. The switch has a little blue LED light on it to let you know the lights are on. There is still a working outlet on the right side for charging a phone. For the lamp pigtails, autozone had a "generic" plug pair that fit perfectly for about $10. It was a PITA running the wires from the lamps to the fusebox to the grounds to the switch, with new corrugated black conduit and lots of zip ties, but it turned out fine. Since the fuse tap is connected to a spot that is only hot when the key is in the run position, I've been leaving the switch on for daytime running lights.
Old 04-05-2022, 05:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I think what you did was likely the best option. I think had you tried to tap into the headlight wiring you could have then encountered CANbus issues.

Quick Reply: How to wire factory fog lamps?