Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

How Much Lighting Before Alternator Upgrade?

Old 11-14-2011, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much Lighting Before Alternator Upgrade?

Good Afternoon Folks,

I am thinking about adding two (2) 7" KCs to the front and maybe five (5) 5" KCs to the roof. How far can I go with this before I have to upgrade the alternator? I am really curious about how much the stock system can handle in terms of lighting before a stronger battery and new alternator are needed. Would seven lights be pushing it? They would only be used offroad when the vehicle is running (as opposed to parked lighting up a fishing hole).
Old 11-14-2011, 09:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an awsome question cause I,m thinking about adding more lights to mine when I get the front/read bumpers. I know with the six I have now it doesnt put to much strain on the alternator, but that is what I was also told it could be wrong. I run my lights the same way offroad only and the occasional dark Maine road!! Would love to know the answer.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd like to know about this too, im currently running no aux lights on my 07 jk but im running a 1000 watt amp and my jeeps been bugging out hard... everything dims so i just have it at about 1/4 power, id also like to see what you guys chose as your new alt/batterys, dont mean to steal from op, just a serious problem ive been running into lol
Old 11-14-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Great suggestion...ty!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ferdis
I'd like to know about this too, im currently running no aux lights on my 07 jk but im running a 1000 watt amp and my jeeps been bugging out hard... everything dims so i just have it at about 1/4 power, id also like to see what you guys chose as your new alt/batterys, dont mean to steal from op, just a serious problem ive been running into lol
I had the same problem and a Optima yellow top took care of it. I also thought it was the alternator. But, I lucked out.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2011, 09:42 AM
JK Freak

What about if your running a winch and 8+ lights do you need an alternator then or will the dual battery set up work?
Old 11-14-2011, 09:47 AM
JK Super Freak

You shouldn't be bumping your stereo while winching. Why would you have your stereo on full blast while driving in a situation when you would need that many lights on? You wouldn't. Same for winching, you don't want to run lights like that while winching either. You can with a solid pair off batts though.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

As said I would look at the battery first. You would be surprised at the difference a good battery like an optima can do for this problem
Old 11-14-2011, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yup optima yellow top.

Additionally, this may just be a tuner fix but a decent enginebay grounding setup can assist (i received a minor but visible improvement on a stock setup on a different car. Headlights no longer dimmed when blinker on). Just get a spool of 4awg and some ends then ground everything. It is cheap and cannot hurt.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Different people have tried to work this out before. With enough research, you should be able to find some good info. Bottom line, Take the rated output of the alternator. Subtract about 60 amps for the Jeep OEM circuits. The remainder is about what you have to play with.

Quick Reply: How Much Lighting Before Alternator Upgrade?