Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

How to Hook Up Hella 500ff's to High Beam Trigger

Old 03-15-2009, 08:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to Hook Up Hella 500ff's to High Beam Trigger

Hi guys, I am awaiting the arrival of my new Hella 500ff Driving Lights. However, electrical work is like a mystery to me. I am not at all interested in having any aftermarket switches mounted on the interior. I really want these 2 aux lights to be able to come on/off with the high beams via the steering wheel tree trigger. However, I have a few concerns:

1. Do I need to worry about any kind of electrical overload (shorts, fires, blowing fuses etc.)

2. Would I simply splice the wire for the provided switch instead with the high beam wire?

3. Is there a separate wire to cut into for both the trigger and the high beam light?

Sorry for my extreme lack of understanding of this topic. Any input/advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Hella 500s, not the 500FFs, and that's how the deestruckshuns SAID to wire them. You can just leave the switch out of the system if you want them to automatically come on with the high beams. I didn't wire mine like that because I want them on when I want them on......not JUST with the high beams. Seemed kinda dumb to me. If that's what you want though, just wire the green lead right to the high beam wire like it says to do. Nuthin to it. Like you said, you're just using the high beams as a trigger. There's almost no load there. The load is on the other side of the relay.

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 03-16-2009 at 04:05 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:02 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What he said---^

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wired mine in like so:

(click to enlarge)

if you remove the toggle switch, and connect the green (G) trigger wire from the relay to the high beam wire (W/Gy), you'll get your circuit to work the way you want it too.

I connected mine right behind the passenger headlight, becaus it was the closest place to do so. Driver's side would work to, just dont know the color.

and no, it wont be to much Amperage on your factory wiring, all you are adding to the Jeep wiring is the trip coil inside the relay, and the current draw on that is so minimal the Jeep wont even realise it. The power for the lights themselves come straight off of the battery, so no worries.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 03-16-2009 at 04:13 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:51 AM
JK Newbie

thanks for the response its really helpful. once the lights come, I be able to look at everything including the instructions and hopefully be able to get them up and going myself. Was thinking about shelling out some serious dough for somebody to do it for me. Seems like a considering I bought the kit which includes everything needed for the self install.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:57 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wiring can be scary, but once you lay everything out (literally if it would help you, lay it all out on the livingroom floor) it isnt that bad. take your time & follow the directions, you should be fine. if you get stuck, just ask.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:04 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, just remember everything is either a hot or ground. Once you realize that, it's not so tough anymore.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

and make sure you use the blue wires on the lights as the hot wire..the directions are screwed ..they say the black is the hot,not the case.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by swanni06
and make sure you use the blue wires on the lights as the hot wire..the directions are screwed ..they say the black is the hot,not the case.
Where
Old 03-18-2009, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12118_11.htm

Uncle Sam is giving me my allowance Friday so I am going to be placing many orders so I am very excited. This is what I am planning on using for my lights. One of these MOPAR Light Instillation kits is $109. It is simple, OEM, plug and play, and pretty much idiot proof. I am known to totally fry anything electrical. Once I get it in I am planning on it being my first write up.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stfuz
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12118_11.htm

Uncle Sam is giving me my allowance Friday so I am going to be placing many orders so I am very excited. This is what I am planning on using for my lights. One of these MOPAR Light Instillation kits is $109. It is simple, OEM, plug and play, and pretty much idiot proof. I am known to totally fry anything electrical. Once I get it in I am planning on it being my first write up.
stfuz: Man save your money. Or send it to me and I will build you a custome harness. There are many postings on this board that will help you with this project. And there are many people that would be glad to help. I'm sure that you have found a good product. But, i'm telling you, you can DIY better and cheaper.

Quick Reply: How to Hook Up Hella 500ff's to High Beam Trigger