Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

How hard to replace front speakers?

Old 07-18-2007 | 06:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How hard to replace front speakers?

Okay, so I took my two door JK in to have a new head unit, four new 6.5 inch polk speakers, and the ipod adapter run through to the center console. Tech calls me at the end of the day and says it will be 3.5 addl hours to install the front speakers because " I have to take out all six front airbags and the head unit & ipod thingy I just put in just to get those speakers in" So I'm like okay,WTF? Nevermind, just gimme my Jeep back.

Question is...........Is it really that bad? I know I don't have six front airbags. Anybody have step by step instructions for front speaker installs? I have heard that the pass side is a real bear to get to but 3.5hours?
Old 07-18-2007 | 06:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the passenger side is the easy one. the driver's is a pita. you have to remove the panel that surrounds the steering wheel, then it still is tough to get to, but it shouldn't take anywhere near 3.5 hours to swap speakers in both sides together.
the passenger side you can remove by taking out the glove box and the panel on the side of the dash. unscrew from both sides and remove the whole speaker box-like thing surrounding it.
i think the tech just wasn't smart enough to figure it out. i think i've seen a post in here somewhere with more detailed step-by-step instructions on how to get them out.
i would recommend getting a chrysler adapter so you can just plug the adapter into the speakers, otherwise you might go crazy trying to splice into the harness. now splicing into those wires might take three hours - they are short and tough to reach behind the dash.
Old 07-18-2007 | 06:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Since my first post, I did a search and found some very usefull info. I may attempt to tackle this myself, but have not heard of the speaker adapter you are talking about. Since I'm a total noob and get easily frustrated with these kinds of projects, I think it would help my chances of success . Thanks for your help so far

Last edited by LidLess07X; 07-18-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-18-2007 | 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

No way it takes 3.5 hours. I removed both speaker pods in under 30 mins.

Old 07-18-2007 | 07:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Wow, I just got off the phone with CField. I just called there to find out if there was a speaker wiring harness. They noticed right away there was a problem with my order because I ordered two sets of speakers but they only shipped me one one wiring harness. I'm willing to bet the shop that did my install just didn't want to tackle this because they realized the second harness was missing. CField is sending out the missing harness and I think I will do the remainder of the install myself.

I can't believe they actually had somebody to answer the phone at 11:15 PM EST. and quickly corrected an honest mistake. It's amazing that good customer service surprises us the way it does. The members here, this forum, and CField rocks
Old 07-18-2007 | 07:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
Wow, I just got off the phone with CField. I just called there to find out if there was a speaker wiring harness. They noticed right away there was a problem with my order because I ordered two sets of speakers but they only shipped me one one wiring harness. I'm willing to bet the shop that did my install just didn't want to tackle this because they realized the second harness was missing. CField is sending out the missing harness and I think I will do the remainder of the install myself.

I can't believe they actually had somebody to answer the phone at 11:15 PM EST. and quickly corrected an honest mistake. It's amazing that good customer service surprises us the way it does. The members here, this forum, and CField rocks
Crutchfield does indeed rock, man. Seriously. Best customer service I know of.
Old 07-19-2007 | 10:04 PM
JK Newbie

Could you post a quick step by step explaining how you took the dash apart to get at the speakers? Thanks.
Old 07-20-2007 | 06:40 PM
JK Super Freak

I completed my speaker install tonight. The most confusing part was getting the glove box out. I looked and looked and looked some more until a friend of mine walked over and said "Hey, did you try this ?". You basically just open the glove box as normal and then squeeze the two sides in. It then just drops down and out. No tools required.

After that you just need metric sockets ranging from 6 TO 10 MM and lots of patience. The hardest part was indeed the driver's side. I had to remove the left side bolts on the two horizontal galvanized braces, have someone hold them out and slid the boxes out. It is so tight in there I had to start the Jeep and press the brake pedal in to slide them out.

Just like mcnaught6 said, get the harnesses. Made it very easy and they are free from CField.

Quick Reply: How hard to replace front speakers?