Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

How to get better sound from the stock Infinity system w/ 730n

Old 11-18-2011, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get better sound from the stock Infinity system w/ 730n

I had a Kenwood DNX-5120 in my 2008 Sahara w/ the Infinity system and the Kenwood had all kinds of audio and bass control settings that made the stock system sound awesome without any distortion. Now I have a 2012 with the 730n and the Infinity system and it sounds good, but not as good as my 2008 w/ the Kenwood. The 730n has a basic, "Bass, Mid, High" level adjustments to control the sound but I barely notice any difference until I max them out in one direction or the other. I know this system is capable of better performance as stock because the only thing added to my '08 was the HU and all the Kenwood was giving it was better EQ, bass optimization. The way they tune the system stock is kind of weak. I'm trying to find a way to improve the sound, specifically the subwoofer output while keeping the system stock. Has anyone tried installing an aftermarket EQ, or have any other suggestions as to have more control to tweak the output?
Old 11-19-2011, 03:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same question. I have a 2011 with a stock subwoofer. Seems I cant really adjust the output.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been looking at some aftermarket audio processors that can work with the factory system but it looks like it'll take some research to find one that can be plug and play. Theres one device i found that connects between an ipod and the receiver but you have to use the mini plug connection and it wont work with the usb.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:14 AM
JK Newbie

Audio Processor would be the way to go if you keeping the stock head unit, but you still need to change your speakers to get the best sound, also if you do add a Audio Processor you may want to find a shop that can tune it up for you and one more thing take a look a quality speakers like Focal, Hertz or Image Dynamics this would be like night and day.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DudeManBro
I had a Kenwood DNX-5120 in my 2008 Sahara w/ the Infinity system and the Kenwood had all kinds of audio and bass control settings that made the stock system sound awesome without any distortion. Now I have a 2012 with the 730n and the Infinity system and it sounds good, but not as good as my 2008 w/ the Kenwood. The 730n has a basic, "Bass, Mid, High" level adjustments to control the sound but I barely notice any difference until I max them out in one direction or the other. I know this system is capable of better performance as stock because the only thing added to my '08 was the HU and all the Kenwood was giving it was better EQ, bass optimization. The way they tune the system stock is kind of weak. I'm trying to find a way to improve the sound, specifically the subwoofer output while keeping the system stock. Has anyone tried installing an aftermarket EQ, or have any other suggestions as to have more control to tweak the output?
i found the reverse.the 2012 infinity system can be capable of some decent sound but the key is cutting down that thumpy 1 note base that over powers. i run my subs at -3,mids -2 and treble at zero.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PETETLR
Audio Processor would be the way to go if you keeping the stock head unit, but you still need to change your speakers to get the best sound, also if you do add a Audio Processor you may want to find a shop that can tune it up for you and one more thing take a look a quality speakers like Focal, Hertz or Image Dynamics this would be like night and day.
Yea there's obv tons of things you can add to the system to make it sound better, theres dozens of threads on that, but im really just talking about keeping it stock and trying to improve the sound. I was happy with the stock sub, speakers in my '08 because it had better sound optimization from the kenwood HU, i think a simple processor might give me the sound control i need.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:39 AM
JK Newbie

Get the jbl ms-8. Swap the stock sub for something real and give it some power. Even better, dump the stock enclosure and buy a JL stealthbox. Change front drivers to good speakers, give ample power. If you get really crazy, make custom kick panels.

With car audio, location is everything. The stock location would be great if my balls had ears. The ms8 will compensate for a crappy location but it won't be great.

I am doing all of the above this holiday weekend. Stock head, JBL ms8, DLS 6.5" and 1" tweeter in kicks, 100 per channel. JL stealthbox, 500 watts. Will not use soundbar speakers.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:02 AM
JK Newbie

Get the jbl ms-8. Swap the stock sub for something real and give it some power. Even better, dump the stock enclosure and buy a JL stealthbox. Change front drivers to good speakers, give ample power. If you get really crazy, make custom kick panels.

With car audio, location is everything. The stock location would be great if my balls had ears. The ms8 will compensate for a crappy location but it won't be great.

I am doing all of the above this holiday weekend. Stock head, JBL ms8, DLS 6.5" and 1" tweeter in kicks, 100 per channel. JL stealthbox, 500 watts. Will not use soundbar speakers.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Eskyr

He said "The way they tune the system stock is kind of weak. I'm trying to find a way to improve the sound, specifically the subwoofer output while keeping the system stock."

You're suggesting custom kick panels new subs and enclosures amps and new speakers and all that relates to what he is asking how??

Yea an MS-8 is a great idea... for 800$

Quick Reply: How to get better sound from the stock Infinity system w/ 730n