Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

How do you extend wires.?

Old 08-06-2012, 12:51 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do you extend wires.?

I'm a noob at this and I can't find anything on how to do it please help me I want to relocate my license plate pictures would be best thanks
Old 08-06-2012, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeek.OlllllllO
I'm a noob at this and I can't find anything on how to do it please help me I want to relocate my license plate pictures would be best thanks
I like to solder mine and shrink wrap them to keep the water etc. out. Just figure out how long you want the extension. Cut the wire in an area that gives you some room to work. Strip the insulation back about 1/2" on the wire as well as the extension piece. Slip your shrink tube over the wire and slide it out of the way. Using a soldering iron or gun heat the connection until the solder flows in. Let it cool for a minute or two. Then slide the tubing over it and use a lighter to shrink it down. All these items can be picked up at the hardware store very inexpensively. Hope that helps!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm guessing you mean the rear plate and you need to wire license plate light in the new location?

Go to the auto parts store and get yerself a pack of crimp-on Butt Splice connectors and rolls of wire in the right size and color. The blue connectors probably fit the wires about right, but the smaller red ones might fit even better. You need a crimping tool - don't buy the cheapest one you can find. It will be useless. Crimp those suckers tight, and pull on the wire to make sure it won't pull out.

You will probably cut the connector off in a place where there are a few inches of wire to work with on both sides of the cut. Then splice the extension wires onto the two cut ends. After crimping, wrap each butt connector with black plastic electrical tape, and then wrap tape around both of them. The extended section of the wire should be wrapped with tape or covered with split loom covering. The auto parts store guy can help you find this stuff.

Don't forget to allow for threading the new wiring to wherever you are going with it. In other words, don't splice the connector on until you are sure the wires don't still hafta go through some little hole. Also, but sure to run the wire out of harm's way.

Finally, search up some basic wiring how-to videos or articles so you have some idea how this should all work when its done.

Edit: Soldering and heat shrink is a better way to get it done, but I suggested butt connectors 'cause you said you haven't done any electrical work. If you or a friend can solder, do it.

Last edited by Freewill; 08-06-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just use a wire stretcher... HeeHee
Old 08-06-2012, 01:30 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Firelyle

I like to solder mine and shrink wrap them to keep the water etc. out. Just figure out how long you want the extension. Cut the wire in an area that gives you some room to work. Strip the insulation back about 1/2" on the wire as well as the extension piece. Slip your shrink tube over the wire and slide it out of the way. Using a soldering iron or gun heat the connection until the solder flows in. Let it cool for a minute or two. Then slide the tubing over it and use a lighter to shrink it down. All these items can be picked up at the hardware store very inexpensively. Hope that helps!
Whatd soldering?
Old 08-06-2012, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Firelyle
I like to solder mine and shrink wrap them to keep the water etc. out. Just figure out how long you want the extension. Cut the wire in an area that gives you some room to work. Strip the insulation back about 1/2" on the wire as well as the extension piece. Slip your shrink tube over the wire and slide it out of the way.
I find this is the best way..
Old 08-06-2012, 01:34 PM
JK Jedi

What wire do i need?
Old 08-06-2012, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeek.OlllllllO

Whatd soldering?
Its when you melt a filler metal to join two other pieces of metal, in this case wire. Its like welding except you aren't melting the wires together.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:45 PM
JK Freak

If you have to ask what soldering is, you probably ought to have someone else who knows what they are doing complete the project for you. Its not that technical, afterall, you are just connecting 2 wires together...anything else you might be in trouble. If you feel uneasy about it, you ought to stick to butt connectors. twist the wire together, place the connection in the connector and crimp. It would be ideal to use the same guage wire the factory has already put in place; do not go smaller.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:12 PM
JK Jedi

Do it matter what color wire i use?

Quick Reply: How do you extend wires.?