Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

How to connect multiple accessories to battery?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverJK12
Sorry, this looks cool but still not understanding how to hook it up . And is the positives vs ground etc go to what?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical system.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	331058

This is basically a 12V fuse box/distribution point. From here you can send 12V to your accessories with fuse protection at the source. You can ground anywhere there is bare metal on the chassis. If you are planning on doing electrical on your own I suggest you invest in a 12v test probe to test grounds and stuff. Saved my ass installing my alarm.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scott in LA

This is basically a 12V fuse box/distribution point. From here you can send 12V to your accessories with fuse protection at the source. You can ground anywhere there is bare metal on the chassis. If you are planning on doing electrical on your own I suggest you invest in a 12v test probe to test grounds and stuff. Saved my ass installing my alarm.
How do you control that accessory? Is there switch in the cabin?
Old 06-19-2012, 06:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SiburNY
Can you explain what you mean by "positive" control scheme?
In your drawing, there are three different parts to this system. 1) control circuit ( left side ). 2) Control Device ( relay in the center ) . And 3) Load circuit ( right side ). The control circuit illistrates "positive control". Power leaves the positive side of the power source, goes through the switch. Then on to the relay coil. Relay coil is grounded to complete the circuit. The Load Circuit illistrates negative control. The powe source is in the middle of the circuit. And the relay connection closes on the negative side of the circuit. Old school DC electricians are familiar with negative control. AC electricians and "New School" DC electricians ar more familiar with Positive control. But it is very confusing to mix them together.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
In your drawing, there are three different parts to this system. 1) control circuit ( left side ). 2) Control Device ( relay in the center ) . And 3) Load circuit ( right side ). The control circuit illistrates "positive control". Power leaves the positive side of the power source, goes through the switch. Then on to the relay coil. Relay coil is grounded to complete the circuit. The Load Circuit illistrates negative control. The powe source is in the middle of the circuit. And the relay connection closes on the negative side of the circuit. Old school DC electricians are familiar with negative control. AC electricians and "New School" DC electricians ar more familiar with Positive control. But it is very confusing to mix them together.
Got it! That totally makes sense. It will get even more confusing when I try to sort out wiring route
Old 06-22-2012, 11:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jhlstn
I used Painless 7 circuit auxillary fuse panel. I mounted it under the glove box. It has 3 constant hot and 4 ignition hot. I have my windshield lights running off of it right now and extra reverse lights in the future.
with this set up can you run a A pillar switch to the 7circuit auxillary pannel. So that way i have them ignition hot and also on a pillar for on/off capabilites
Old 06-24-2012, 01:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry for not replying but the original post was about hooking up multiple accessories to the battery not relay wiring diagrams. There are thousands of those all over the internet.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't mind answering questions guys!

Originally Posted by Forma
with this set up can you run a A pillar switch to the 7circuit auxillary pannel. So that way i have them ignition hot and also on a pillar for on/off capabilites

When your talking about just plain ole power distribution to a fuse box. You can install a relay to controll the power to the buss. But, the relay will have to be rated to the full load capabilities of the buss. This isn't a problem with buss rateings of say 40 amps or less. But with higher current rateings, you have to switch from relays to solenoids. And they are more expensive.

Now for control. You could control the relay from a switch inside the cab. But remember, you will be switching every circuit on the buss. A better alternative would be to tie the relay straight to an accessory circuit. Then your new fuse panel would act like the OE fuse panel. It would be ON with everything elas. And it would be OFF when it needed to be.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Heres what I'm going with. A friend of mine makes these. Really nice.
Hyperwire Performance | Facebook
He calls them the black box. he also does in cab winch controls.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Black Box Jk Wrangler Install Part 1 - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcYT7i9jlag&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLG6r...feature=relmfu
Old 08-07-2012, 03:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you have an auto you can use the plug thats is used for the clutch to go through. if not theres a place down under the glove box but its kindof a pain to fish the wires from. And then I believe theres a spot high up on the fire wall on the driver side. I used the clutch deal.
Hope this helps

Quick Reply: How to connect multiple accessories to battery?