Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

How can I wire 1 switch to operate 3 relays?

Old 07-20-2011, 11:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How can I wire 1 switch to operate 3 relays?

What is the best way for me to wire 3 relays to operate on one switch?

I'm not a technical electrical genius, but I have a basic understanding. I just need to know literally (in idiot-proof jargon) the best way to wire/splice/connect the 3 relays to the switch so that everything turns on at once. The lazy retard in me would just simply twist the 3 wires together and use one butt connector to connect the 3 to 1... but something tells me this isn't the smartest idea.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1 heavy duty relay should do the job
if you are set on three then wire each as directed and jump from switch wire to swtich wire
brianj
Old 07-20-2011, 11:59 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by tncruiser
1 heavy duty relay should do the job
if you are set on three then wire each as directed and jump from switch wire to swtich wire
brianj
Define "jump from switch wire to switch wire"? How? The toggle switch has one wire for accessory, which would go to one relay... so how do I connect all 3 to that?

If I use a heavy duty relay(say a 75amp), how do I physically connect that to 6 lights when it only has one port for the lights/accessory?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

splice your 6 wires from lights together then attach it to the load terminal on the relay you will have 7 wires terminating make the 1 going to the relay a diameter lrge enough to carry the load. on the switch side of the relay you will go from your dash switch to the swithch stud on relay 1 then a jumper to switch term 2 then on to 3
Old 07-20-2011, 12:30 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by tncruiser
splice your 6 wires from lights together then attach it to the load terminal on the relay you will have 7 wires terminating make the 1 going to the relay a diameter lrge enough to carry the load. on the switch side of the relay you will go from your dash switch to the swithch stud on relay 1 then a jumper to switch term 2 then on to 3
Ok, thanks for the help!! it's 330w total... so 27.5 amps would need 8g wire, I think?

I have six 55w rock lights... i already mounted and wired the front pair to a 30amp relay and to the switch. I haven't wired the other pairs yet, but want to finish this up this weekend. So, I can either get a new heavy duty relay, or get 2 more smaller relays and wire them up to the one switch. If I jump from dash switch to relay 1, how am I jumping to relay 2? These are setup to just go one way, meaning, out the relay to the dash switch. I guess I'm just not understanding how I'm creating this "circuit" by "jumping" from 1 to 2 to 3. There's no "in" then "out" on the relay, if that makes sense. Thx again for your advice.

One last thing... would it be "easier" if I just use something like a 6 screw terminal to connect the 3 relays to the dash switch?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

go here
http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
you will see a 14gauge will do fine
brianj
Old 07-20-2011, 12:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to rewire all my lights to one switch as well, this stuff just confuses me... But I will try again.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you get the hand of wiring things up, it'll amaze you at how simple it can be. The hard part is understanding DC electricity, resistance and amps.

karls10jk has it correct.... "It's better to have and not need than not have and need."

I always go at least one size larger wire than required. The cost is negligible but the safety factor is priceless.

Take your time, use quality wire and connectors and it'll be as good or better than you can purchase.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:03 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by single
Once you get the hand of wiring things up, it'll amaze you at how simple it can be. The hard part is understanding DC electricity, resistance and amps.

karls10jk has it correct.... "It's better to have and not need than not have and need."

I always go at least one size larger wire than required. The cost is negligible but the safety factor is priceless.

Take your time, use quality wire and connectors and it'll be as good or better than you can purchase.
Thanks for the input

I'm still a little confused about splicing/connecting the 3 relays together to connect to the dash switch. Should I use a terminal or a wire nut? The dash switch is really just to flip the switch in the relay, so it's not going to draw much power(I think).
Old 07-20-2011, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the wiring diagram that I used to wire two relays to one switch. I'm no electrician, but I imagine you could just add another relay to the mix and wire it just like the other two.

h t t p://support.kchilites.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&at tach_id=17

Quick Reply: How can I wire 1 switch to operate 3 relays?