Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Horn doesnt work HELP. inspection sticker

Old 05-28-2010, 10:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just cant see how everything else works except the horn. Cruise control, turn signals, wipers. etc... everything works perfectly, except the horn. The crappiest part is that I need the horn to work so that i can pass my state inspection so that i can drive my jeep.

Now i went to discount mopar parts and looked aroung and found a "horn switch". but where is it located? Im starting to think that it is not the clock spring.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smartJK
I just cant see how everything else works except the horn. Cruise control, turn signals, wipers. etc... everything works perfectly, except the horn. The crappiest part is that I need the horn to work so that i can pass my state inspection so that i can drive my jeep.

Now i went to discount mopar parts and looked aroung and found a "horn switch". but where is it located? Im starting to think that it is not the clock spring.
If you need the horn to work to pass inspection, why not disconnect the terminals at the horn, pick up a relay, switch, and some wire from an auto parts store. Run a power wire from the battery through the contacts of the relay, (don't forget an inline fuse), control the relay from the switch, tapping off a hot wire from the cabin to the relay coil. That way you can pass inspection and figgure out the problem a bit later.
Maybe cost you about $30.00 in all.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

sounds good. might have my dad do that.

im actually taking off the clock spring right now and have a look at it. it just a coil of ribbon wire. see if i can fix it. Talked to the dealer and they said they have it on stock for $235. so if i cant fix it, im just gonna buy it. well see. keep yall posted.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

well its all done. It was the clock spring. Replaced that. everything works now. air bags, and horn. Got my inspection sticker and now legal to ride topless this weekend. thank you to all.

It really was not hard at all to replace. its so simple. I think the hardest parts is that 13mm center bolt. and finding the allen flat head. but. i was done in about 2hrs giving i was running around buy parts and taking picture incase anyone else has the same problem.

thank you
Old 05-29-2010, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I followed the Cruise Control install which got me to the clock spring. and thats all you really need. after the steering wheel is off. the Clocksrping is visible.

1. this is where the Install Cruise control write up left you.
it looks like this
2. remove 3 T20 screws from the underneath shroud ( i bought a T20 screw driver. the holes are small)
3. remove the lower shroud
4. remove the upper shroud
5. the clock switch is visible
6. remove 1 philips screw to each of the signals (total of 2)
7. slid them out
8. all 3 T20 screws should be visible. 2 in the upper rear, and on the lower right side when facing it.
9. slide it out
10. unplug the connectors
11. replace with new clock switch

DONE! just reverse the whole order of this and the install cruise control and done. about 80mins. i took my time.

tool needs. T20 driver, Allen shaped flat head screw driver (home depot ~ $1.50) 13mm with extension. philips screw driver.

then your ready to install the 6.7 Cummins engine i got! cant wait!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0561..jpg
Views:	383
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	70183   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0567..jpg
Views:	395
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	70184   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0565..jpg
Views:	409
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	70185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0564..jpg
Views:	395
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	70186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0563..jpg
Views:	364
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	70187  

Old 05-29-2010, 06:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed in case I need to do this at some point. Moderators or OP need to copy post #17 to the write-up forum.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:46 PM
JK Super Freak

clock spring seems to be a common problem. Mine was replaced under warranty. VERY annoying to be driving down the road and the horn would start honking randomly. Even when sitting in my driveway at night!
Old 05-29-2010, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

it was cake. easy. Its better than have to pay 580 at the dealer. The dealer quoted me $235 for the clock spring. The clerk saw that i was a bit wide eyed about the cost. He then gave it to me for $180. he said " i will give you a shop resale discount" so i saved a few bills. My dad does own his own mechanic shop. so i didnt feel guilty. might wanna ask about a shop re-sale discount....
Old 06-03-2010, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know about your state, but I have been able to get by with a Rubber squeze horn from a kids bike. The law says " A Horn " it does not say it has to be electric. Have had to use this to get inspection stickers on Custom Choppers in the past.

But thank you for the write up, Im sure at some point my Clock Spring will go, and until today I had never even heard of it.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I followed this post to replace my clock spring. It was easy to follow and I had it done in about an hour and a half. And to my utter dismay, it actually worked! I think the price went up a bit on the clock spring. I called several dealerships and the price was 249+tax at all of them, except one, which was 265 for whatever reason. The T20 screwdriver was definitely necessary too.

Quick Reply: Horn doesnt work HELP. inspection sticker