Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Horn doesnt work HELP. inspection sticker

Old 05-28-2010, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn doesnt work HELP. inspection sticker

I went today to get my inspection sticker. The guy told me only one problem. horn doesnt work.

I took the Horn off and connected it to the battery, and it honked. I got a test light and hit both wiring that connect to it. NO fire or power. I go to check the fuses (with key on) all fuses have power except M7 and M8 (i think thats what they are labeled) the fuses to the Horn. right and left horn. NO power. I change them out. new fuses and still the horn wont work. Horn is good. all other fuses have power expect those 2? idk what is wrong. maybe a cut wire? somewhere? because not even the fuses to the horn after being replaced have power to them.

help?
Old 05-28-2010, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

anyone? Is there a relay somewhere? i can find one.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't have the wiring diagram, but a quick search led me to http://www.wanderingtrail.com/Mechanical/JK/Fuses.html
for the 2007 JK, and what it indicated was the M7 fuse is for the Power Outlet #2, Batt/ACC Select. The M8 fuse was for the Front heated seats.
According to this site, the M22 is for the right horn and the M23 is for the left horn.
Also this page for the 2008 JK lists the same fuses:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9496821/Je...Wrangler-Fuses
I could not find any wiring diagrams so I'm at a loss there, and my wife is out at the mall with our grand daughter, so I can't even try to trace the circuit out until she gets back maybe in a hour or two. If it's not dark when she gets back, I'll take a look.
Sorry. The best I can do right now.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:11 PM
HV
JK Enthusiast

Im on my third horn I gave up lol
Old 05-28-2010, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes those are the correct fuses to the horn. Rt horn and lt horn. Got mxed up. They have no power as do wiring to horn. There has to be something in between relay? Bt where
Old 05-28-2010, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

Same happened to me sorta, I had my Jeep at the dealer for a New "My GIG" aka "MY SHIT" Radio and when i got my Jeep back the Horn was broke! Fuses had no power and so on, so long story short they ended up replacing my clock-spring and such. As of now the horn works again. But im on my 3rd "My Shit" radio. grrr
Old 05-28-2010, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Horn works when wired to the battery directl
Old 05-28-2010, 03:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW, this is messed up. I would think if anything the horn relay would be downstream of the fuse. In normal thinking, a fuse would supply power through the horn on the steering wheel acting as a switch to energize the horn relay. The relay contacts would close, and power from another fuse would supply power to the horn itself through the relay contacts.
Now on the other hand, perhaps the horn on the steering wheel is somehow intigrated into the Canbus system, and acts as an input to the ECU, then outputs to the horn realy which might be controlled by a power wire through the fuse.
At any rate, I'm going to have to trace this circuit out to see how the damn thing works.
As for Amanda, you may have something there, as the clockspring is a rotory contact that provides power to the airbag system as well as the horn system.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:41 PM
JK Freak

probably a bad clockspring
Old 05-28-2010, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Clockspring? How much am I looking at?

Quick Reply: Horn doesnt work HELP. inspection sticker