Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Home made Windshield brackets for fogs!!!

Old 06-19-2009, 10:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home made Windshield brackets for fogs!!!

My girlfriend gave me a set of KC 6" slimlites for my birthday (yes she is a good women) and I have been reading the threads to see the pros and cons of the brackets that are out and and at first I was all for the down and out look from the mopar brackets but the cheapest ive found was 80 bucks, OUCH!! but after looking and realising that would be a must if i had the 8" the KC brackets started looking more appealing to me especially for $30 .
I then decided to check with my local welding shop to see what they could do , I was surprised to hear he would cut and machine bend 1/4 aluminum for $25 so I figured why not I didnt expect much but was pleasently surprised.
I know 1/4 inch maybe a little over kill and I was wondering if my original bolts would be affected by the 1/4 inch plate = less threading but it all came together.
I realised I was only saving $5 and looking at some time to drill and paint but I have a drill press and had some black hammared paint left over from another project so I figured why not I'm up for a small project with my jeep!

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by FL.BeachBum; 06-19-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:26 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Nice job! Does the passenger's side clear the stock antenna? I hear that's a problem with some of the commercial brackets. You should upload a drawing for any other DIYers out there.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:34 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Nice work, they look sharp. X2 on the passenger side, I'd like to see pics
Old 06-20-2009, 07:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Nice work...Did mine lat weekend...The KC brackets i paid only
$40.00...Why is your price so high...Anyway you got fixed up...
Old 06-20-2009, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Nice job! Does the passenger's side clear the stock antenna? I hear that's a problem with some of the commercial brackets. You should upload a drawing for any other DIYers out there.
I have my lights mounted as far out as I could go on the bracket so they would be in the way if I didnt have my antenna already cut ( yes I know some people have said it looks dangerous but it is not sharp or pointed I am gonna put a rubber ball on it just for good measure) If I did have the standard length though I would have drille my whole in about 1 inch and it would clear it no problem.

Originally Posted by 08 R R Unlimited
Nice work...Did mine lat weekend...The KC brackets i paid only
$40.00...Why is your price so high...Anyway you got fixed up...
The best mopar bracket price i found was $80 , I found the KC brackets in Quad**** mag for $30.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:10 PM
JK Freak

Dude! Nice job

As far as the antenna problem, I think I've seen on here where some people have rotated their antenna toards the back of the Jeep to match the angle of the windshield to fix that problem........seems like that would work to me!
Old 06-21-2009, 04:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bluerubicon08
Dude! Nice job

As far as the antenna problem, I think I've seen on here where some people have rotated their antenna toards the back of the Jeep to match the angle of the windshield to fix that problem........seems like that would work to me!

That's what I had to do. I unscrewed the antenna and bent it between two pieces of wood in a bench vice.

Your brackets are looking good bro!
Old 06-21-2009, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Skippman
That's what I had to do. I unscrewed the antenna and bent it between two pieces of wood in a bench vice.

Your brackets are looking good bro!

Ive never really liked the look of the jk antennas and the way it looked on the jeep. I think it was Clackey with the SWEEEET Silver sahara that I first saw the bent antenna and liked the way it looked so I did it and liked it but ended up breaking it so I cut it off and painted it black,

Skippman,
What kind of brackets r those in ur pic and it looks like you have a differant bracket arm going up to the back of the fog?? can u adjust the arm? and where did u find ur windsheild barcket?

Last edited by FL.BeachBum; 06-21-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm using Smittybilt brackets. You can see more pics of them in my build thread in my sig. Detn8RYellow turned me on to them. They're so good that now MOPAR sells them. I got them for about $30 on 4WD.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks real good, but I'm a little surprised that more people haven't gone this same route. I'm sure the forum has a few fabrication types who do their own work...

Quick Reply: Home made Windshield brackets for fogs!!!