Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

HID's

Old 04-25-2011, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a great thread....very informative. Thanks Rickyj for making some great points and doing the research.
I find that being able to see clearly at night warrants the risk of possibly being illegal. I will do my best to make sure the light is not blinding others....but first and foremost I need to be able to see!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Riptide
It doesn't take more than 2 seconds to tell whether a vehicle has a projector setup or not (at least if it's dark out). Also... while I could be mistaken, my understanding is that headlights need to be DOT/ECE certified, and is done so with a specific bulb. So while your reflector has been DOT certified with the 60/65w halogen bulb (or whatever stock is), it wasn't DOT certified with a different bulb... I'm also certain there are limits to the legal limit of wattage you can put in the headlights (meaning most aftermarket 100w bulbs are likely illegal as well)... however as you're not messing around with the light source at all, it's less of an issue, and I doubt it would ever come up unless you were getting a VI done.

Oh something else for all you who blame those "bad cops" for being assholes... I'm not sure about how things work in the US, but up here, if a cop pulls you over for a violation, and fines you, but then allows you to continue on... Or even if he suspends your license for 24 hrs, but doesn't ensure you leave. Should you get into an accident after the fact, it's HIS ass in shit for allowing you to keep driving.
This is far off topic, but you do realize that there are actually bad cops don't you? In the last couple years here in Colorado we have had Arvada which had to fire 7 and arrest 3 (or more, they locked lips after the first round) "police officers" for blatantly illegal conduct. Not only had they been breaking into peoples homes (jury trial verdict) they decided to assault a man they had handcuffed and lie about it. There was a State Trooper in his PATROL CAR that got pulled over around 9AM on the interstate at speed and blew a 0.18 or so, and his punishment was unusually light - not harsh. Denver police officers have been involved in several videotaped beatings they lied about. Not all cops are bad, but they certainly exist.

And police officers do not have an obligation to respond or protect, this has been hashed out again and again in areas such as the Supreme Court of the United States. They have no (criminal at least) liability for even the most absurd situations they allow.

But to the first issue, that is what I want to know. IS it illegal? Being "fairly certain" isn't enough.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by clewis7951
This is a great thread....very informative. Thanks Rickyj for making some great points and doing the research.
I find that being able to see clearly at night warrants the risk of possibly being illegal. I will do my best to make sure the light is not blinding others....but first and foremost I need to be able to see!
You are welcome, and thanks for the thanks.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Riptide
Agreed OT. And I agree that there are shitty cops that do shitty things... I'm no fan of the RCMP up here... but I was just pointing out that while some cops are assholes, there's a reason why they're assholes.
I think the term "bad cop" is a potentially misleading one because it encompasses people who have no business wearing a badge as well as the genuine good police officers (most of them) who get the bad cop label because they are enforcing a good law in the current pressing interest of society. When I interviewed to become a police officer, one of the big questions was "are you okay ignoring the enforcement of a law?" The correct answer being "yes." Laws need to be enforced in a hierarchy, society itself breaks laws into hierarchy (felony by degree, misdemeanor by degree, petty offense, violation) because they are of varying importance. After further personal reflection and experience I found that the law enforcement field really wasn't for me - and I mean AT ALL, they deal with a lot of stuff and people every day that I wouldn't want to even yearly. So I do respect good police officers quite a bit, they really deal with a lot and put themselves in undesirable situations. But that said, a police officer that makes it his personal mission to write tickets for obscure technical violations is not a good one. Motor vehicles are the leading cause of death, but the primary causes are excessive speed, excessive lane changes (usually related to speed), inattention, running red lights or stop signs, driving too fast for conditions, and impaired driving - and in about that same order every year. Improperly aimed headlamps, improper headlamps, etc - they are not a pressing concern by far. Given that motor vehicle accidents/law violations are more of a continuous issue - a police officer that pulls someone over for headlamps (unless they are horribly aimed directly into oncoming traffic or not on) by definition is going to let the more dangerous speeders, etc roll right past while he is dealing with that person. While not an evil police officer, he isn't a good one. Deal with the big issues first, then trickle down. That is probably the policy of most departments as well. An elected police chief that directs his officers to hassle good people for technical violations while ignoring racers, drug deals, open prostitution, etc is not going to last long.

But I do understand why throwing "bad cop" out there can run against people the wrong way - especially without more description and explanation.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by stoppey
I'm not sure of the part#'s I will call the guy tommorow and get the specifics, the installation was so easy I wish I hadn't paid the guy to do it. I opted for the 55 watts and ran relays if you run 35's which I did to begin with the ecu may get whacky causing "flickers" ( at least with a hi-low kit). For an extra $40 I got the Hi/low so I can use Hi-beams if I ever need them, the entire kit was 110 bucks installed.. And I've never been happier. IMO, the stock bulbs are terrible, it's like driving with gas lamps or candles as headlights. I'll let you know on which kit it is and part #'s.
Stoppey,
What relays did you run and how/where are they interfaced. I have an 09 wrangler x unlimited and installed a hid kit last year,(HID hi/halogen lo) got the flicker and the kit tripped a factory relay preventing the lights from working at all when the vehicle was running. I even tried pulling the relay and then the vehicle wouldnt start. Reinstalled relay and removed hid kit. Now wife is complaining she cant see and wants hids back. Going to try a ddm tuning 55w 6000k kit. but dont want to deal with ecu or relay issues. any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-28-2011, 11:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by zig650
Stoppey,
What relays did you run and how/where are they interfaced. I have an 09 wrangler x unlimited and installed a hid kit last year,(HID hi/halogen lo) got the flicker and the kit tripped a factory relay preventing the lights from working at all when the vehicle was running. I even tried pulling the relay and then the vehicle wouldnt start. Reinstalled relay and removed hid kit. Now wife is complaining she cant see and wants hids back. Going to try a ddm tuning 55w 6000k kit. but dont want to deal with ecu or relay issues. any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks
I have an 09 unlimited as well. I ordered a canbus kit from VVME, not listed on their webpage, but they recommended it above everything else for the JK. They said 35w will have problems, 55w will probably have intermittent issues. If you ask, they will know what it is unless they were just blowing smoke up my butt. They implied that it was plug and play, no flicker, no relay. The warning cancelers are built into the housing, so that solves potential canbus problems (ecu). The harness hooks up to the battery directly for what I am guessing is the high current draw to get the arc going. Their grasp of the english language seemed formal but less than perfect by far however.

I should get the kit on Monday. I will post up some install pictures, beam pattern shots if I can find a reasonable wall to do so, and impressions/opinions. I will try to do so by the end of next week, unless someone has already done so on here. I am curious as to how much the pattern differs, if at all, and a little curious on if I will be able to get a picture that demonstrates it at all.

ETA - welcome to the forum........kinda. Looks like you have been registered over a year and only posted once? You aren't a deep cover NHTSA secret agent are you?

Last edited by rickyj; 04-28-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Some HID talk on CPF.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hilldweller
That is pretty much what I would have expected had I registered and posted there. Guy asks what law they are talking about. No one knows exactly, but they are "sure" they have discussed enough that it is 100% illegal.

One posters comment was basically "if you don't like your headlights, you should save up to buy a new car - not new headlights".

Then, predictably, thread closed and locked without a law being posted.

ETA - I understand the "must conform to FMVSS" statements. But what is the punishment if it does not? A felony? Misdemeanor? A capital offense? How many years in prison are we talking about? In addition to the $10,000 fine or not? The punishment for a car manufacturer is very clear, they can not sell the vehicle as it does not conform or comply to FMVSS, and that is a huge financial problem. I don't see listed anywhere in the section about criminal punishments for aftermarket installers. Given that it is a parts standard that is not surprising in the least. Show me the law. Since you are a member on Candlepower, ask Bill to provide the law.

Last edited by rickyj; 04-29-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who care's if it's legal or not, running lights that help you see and blind others is selfish, dangerous, ignorant and down right stupid. I drive past these people every night on the highways. Flashing them does nothing, they just flash back to show you they are running their low beams that scatter light and rob me of my night vision.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:21 PM
JK Junkie

What about running those HID kits by DDM in my PIAA offroad lights? I have lights that run at 85w so would the housing be okay to house say 55w HID lights?

Quick Reply: HID's