Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

HID's

Old 04-12-2011, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mango Tango
Wow, nice post troll. Very helpful. You have obviously never driven a jeep at night to know how much the stock lights suck.
Hahahahahaha.... X2
Old 04-13-2011, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mango Tango
Wow, nice post troll. Very helpful. You have obviously never driven a jeep at night to know how much the stock lights suck.
You must mean I never drove a Jeep illegally at night with poorly focussed rebased HID capsules retrofitted into halogen reflectors.

But I've tried just about everything else.

Troll indeed...

Originally Posted by axelaR
Well, HIDs in a non-HID projector will blind oncoming drivers and scatter light everywhere, regardless of how you have them aimed. HIDs are not designed to be used in reflector-based headlights that are not set up that way from the factory.

I have HIDs in my car, but I've ordered cibie h4 units for the jeep.

If you're wanting to go with HIDs, do at least a proper retrofit.
Smart answer; you must be a troll...
Old 04-13-2011, 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

im gonna have to agree with ^^ that guy, hild, HIDs are compltely illegal and 100% help at the same time. The only safe and legal solution is to do the JW leds like Hild has or do the cibie upgrade. I have 55w hids in my headlights now and even with them aimed way the heck down, i still get flashed sometimes. If i were yall, i wouldnt mess with Hild, ive read lost of threads where he gives great insight and reviews to headlight options for the JK, he knows what hes talking about.

Props to you Hild.

George
Old 04-13-2011, 09:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Riptide
And you obviously haven't read any of the many threads Hildwiller has posted on regarding different lights, reflectors, bulbs and whatnot. This includes the many pictures and light measurements he's taken. Don't mock him just because you didn't like his answer.

HIDs kits are illegal to use. They do scatter light like crazy, and regardless of how much you adjust the aim, to some extent they still affect other drivers. They're absolutely brutal when it's snowing, and I would expect the same in fog and rain.

There are other options that are completely legal. Spend some money (not even that much) and put some half decent reflectors in there. Or go get some of the projectors that are available for the JK (although this will cost a bit more). Or if you're a cheap bastard go put some better bulbs in the stock reflectors.

But at least have some respect for your fellow forum members who've actually contributed to the subject at hand - regardless of your thoughts on the matter.

I agree, Hilld has done his homework and found out what works and doesn't. as have you Riptide. Ive tried to follow what you two have said and reviewed and all i can say is thank you.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Riptide is an evil old troll too...
Old 04-13-2011, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

well, according to whomever posted the "troll" comment, whoever doesn't support illegal technology when it comes to lighting can be technically called a troll. right?
Old 04-15-2011, 12:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Riptide
Old!? I resent that! I'm only 28... well 28 and 3/4
I was talking in troll years.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rubi4life
well, according to whomever posted the "troll" comment, whoever doesn't support illegal technology when it comes to lighting can be technically called a troll. right?
I have seen a lot of these comments lately that installing an hid kit is illegal. Since it is coming from all over the USA, I assume this must be a federal law.

Anybody point me to it? Not talking about merits of the HID or anything else. I am just curious as to how I missed the memo. This is such common knowledge that it is either written clear as day somewhere or (probably) wives tale quality head nodding.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jaker t5
Yeah hid's are nice
what hid's are those are they the 55w 8000k BI-Xenon?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rickyj
I have seen a lot of these comments lately that installing an hid kit is illegal. Since it is coming from all over the USA, I assume this must be a federal law.

Anybody point me to it? Not talking about merits of the HID or anything else. I am just curious as to how I missed the memo. This is such common knowledge that it is either written clear as day somewhere or (probably) wives tale quality head nodding.
These HIDs wont get you pulled over automatically, but are not DOT approved. I found 3 websites on a Officers forum that prove that they are not such.

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/Shih.3.html[/url]

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/deetz.ztv.html[/url]

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/kim.ztv.html[/url]
If an officer pulls you over for something at night, and notices your HIDs youll probably be dealing with that too. DO your research before you go calling people out about "wives tales" good sir.

George

Quick Reply: HID's