Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

HID vs LED Headlights

Old 11-25-2011, 06:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Led all the way!
Old 11-25-2011, 11:56 AM
JK Newbie

Do an HID retrofit. Google hid planet and get some info there and you'll never look back. I did one on my Colorado after running hids in my fogs for a few months. Whatever you decide to do, PLEASE do not run hids in stock housings.

Even though stock is pretty brutal, if you run the hids in stock housing you won't be gaining any usable light as most of the light is reflected skyward. A projector retrofit ensures optimal useable light on the road where you need it and adds a nice clean cut off.

Also, the higher end of the color spectrum you claim to have seen on high end cars is actually due to the projector. What you're seeing is the edge of the cut off, which can be very colorful.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by deeker
Being from TO, how much heat generated from the lights to melt any slush or snow that gets thrown up on the lights when driving around in the winter might be something to consider.

I'm not sure if there is much difference vs. incandescent lights, but could be something that is overlooked. It might not be significant enough to be an issue, either.
I don't have any personal experience, but I remember reading a thread in this forum where someone was unhappy with LEDs for exactly this reason. They just didn't put out enough heat to keep snow from building up and blocking the lights while he was driving around.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by blackhouse
Do an HID retrofit. Google hid planet and get some info there and you'll never look back. I did one on my Colorado after running hids in my fogs for a few months. Whatever you decide to do, PLEASE do not run hids in stock housings.

Even though stock is pretty brutal, if you run the hids in stock housing you won't be gaining any usable light as most of the light is reflected skyward. A projector retrofit ensures optimal useable light on the road where you need it and adds a nice clean cut off.

Also, the higher end of the color spectrum you claim to have seen on high end cars is actually due to the projector. What you're seeing is the edge of the cut off, which can be very colorful.
I checked out the retrofit... It's a few bucks but looks like a world of difference. I'm definitely going to look into it.. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 11-28-2011, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

I just did the JW Speaker 8700 and they are awesome. High cost of ownership, but the JK Headlight housing is terrible for HID's...

Im an HID fan and have had them in my Armada for years but I personally dont like them in the JK housing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8700.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	242942

Good luck with whatever you choose.

jfg
Old 11-28-2011, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

I'm very happy with the JW Speaker 8700s as well, although I haven't had any snow experience with them yet (soon ... very soon).

Click image for larger version

Name:	photox.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	242970
Old 11-30-2011, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Drop Top
I have the 6000k in stock housing and love it no problems whatsoever
did one of your lights ever flicker? i have one that wont stop and i have the relay and everything.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

Some HID's will do that.. I had a set of DDM in my Armada and one flickers until it gets to temp/full light output.... Is yours flickering all the time?
Old 12-02-2011, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also recently upgraded from 6000k HID lighting to the JW Speaker 8700. It is a night and day difference. The light output is at least double and much more evenly spread.

Also to answer your question, no... LEDs put out almost no heat. They will not melt snow.

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 12-04-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:07 PM
JK Newbie

I've also been wondering whether to get HID or LED. One thing I'm wondering is how well the pencil beam HID vs LED beams light up the trail? In other words, which beam pattern is more preferable to those who have experience using each on the trail?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: HID vs LED Headlights