Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

HID vs LED Headlights

Old 11-23-2011, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID vs LED Headlights

Hi everyone..

Iv got a pretty nub question with lights. I jut picked up my 2011 JK Sahara in October and am looking to change my headlights. Iv don't alot of background homework on HID kits; however I have been seeing alot of buzz surrounding led kits. I'm pretty set on picking up an 8000-10000k hid kit, but was wondering what you guys/girls think a about led headlights vs an HID kit.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangomatt
Hi everyone..

Iv got a pretty nub question with lights. I jut picked up my 2011 JK Sahara in October and am looking to change my headlights. Iv don't alot of background homework on HID kits; however I have been seeing alot of buzz surrounding led kits. I'm pretty set on picking up an 8000-10000k hid kit, but was wondering what you guys/girls think a about led headlights vs an HID kit.
Dont do the 8-10k HiD kits, they will have a color you probably wont enjoy much and the light output will be diminished. Looks good on paper, super annoying and you risk getting tickets from the cops as HID bulbs in a non-HID housing is considered illegal (i ran a 4200k kit in my 08 JK for 3.5 years)

6k has a bluish tint, 8k is blue, 10k is a deeper blue leaning towards purple. 4200k is what you see in HID factory equipped cars. The lower the number, the more light output. There are kits out there to retrofit the housings and use projectors.. They run around $300-400 and are well worth the money. The LED kits are nice and are improving as technology improves. trucklite 7" LED's put off a shitty amount of light in their first generation.. I believe they are around Gen 4 now and are actually nice.. but they also come with a higher cost.. ~$750-1200
Old 11-23-2011, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Imkunfused

Dont do the 8-10k HiD kits, they will have a color you probably wont enjoy much and the light output will be diminished. Looks good on paper, super annoying and you risk getting tickets from the cops as HID bulbs in a non-HID housing is considered illegal (i ran a 4200k kit in my 08 JK for 3.5 years)

6k has a bluish tint, 8k is blue, 10k is a deeper blue leaning towards purple. 4200k is what you see in HID factory equipped cars. The lower the number, the more light output. There are kits out there to retrofit the housings and use projectors.. They run around $300-400 and are well worth the money. The LED kits are nice and are improving as technology improves. trucklite 7" LED's put off a shitty amount of light in their first generation.. I believe they are around Gen 4 now and are actually nice.. but they also come with a higher cost.. ~$750-1200
I appreciate the input. 10k is probably pushing it. My uncle has a 6k kit and the color is beautiful but I'm a huge fan of that blue that the 8 puts out. I have seen alot of higher end audis and BMW/Benz with 10-12k in that purple spectrum
Old 11-23-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Freak

Hi everyone..

Just put HID's on my scion xb. AWESOME is all I can say. As for my jeep I plan on putting JW Speaker's.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Being from TO, how much heat generated from the lights to melt any slush or snow that gets thrown up on the lights when driving around in the winter might be something to consider.

I'm not sure if there is much difference vs. incandescent lights, but could be something that is overlooked. It might not be significant enough to be an issue, either.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by deeker
Being from TO, how much heat generated from the lights to melt any slush or snow that gets thrown up on the lights when driving around in the winter might be something to consider.

I'm not sure if there is much difference vs. incandescent lights, but could be something that is overlooked. It might not be significant enough to be an issue, either.
I'm one of those clean freaks. I always give her a once over before hanging the keys. I'm not too worried about any build up of sorts since I spend more time cleaning it then driving it. Really good point however I never really thought of it that way.

To all you jeepers that would like to slap
Me for saying that. Don't get me wrong I love a muddy jeep as much as the next guy, I just like her clean after a trip before bed so I can dirty her tomorrow
Old 11-24-2011, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi everyone..

I have the 6000k in stock housing and love it no problems whatsoever
Old 11-24-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

Are there any hid makes that are more superior than others. Kinda tou get what you pay for type deal??
Old 11-25-2011, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deeker

Hey deeker,

I'm in the GTA and bought a set of 6000K HIDs from a guy in North York. I love them. My fogs are a little too bright for most people so I save them for the highways. I'd totally recommend getting HID's. I got a set of head lights and fogs for under 2 sheets. (I'm not sure if I'm aloud to say how much :s)
Old 11-25-2011, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Led is a future............ Make it all led.

Quick Reply: HID vs LED Headlights