Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

HID Retrofit for stock headlights?

Old 11-07-2011, 08:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Retrofit for stock headlights?

Hi guys (and gals),

Looking to put HIDs into my '12 Sahara and I'm looking for suggestions of what stock parts need to be replaced and what to replace them with. Personal experience/opinions welcome!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:25 PM
JK Newbie

Also interested for my '12 Sahara.

Subscribed.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkellington
Hi guys (and gals),

Looking to put HIDs into my '12 Sahara and I'm looking for suggestions of what stock parts need to be replaced and what to replace them with. Personal experience/opinions welcome!
Try DDM Tuning. I have used there lights on 3 motorcycles and I just ordered them or my '12 JK. Cost me approximately $100 for t
he whole kit. Their lights are also direct replacements.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Super Freak

if you're feeling really brave check out theretrofitsource.com. That's probably what i'll go with. I picked up a spare set of headlights off of a forum member to butcher and the kit is about under $300 for a bi-xenon HID kit.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mister ed
if you're feeling really brave check out theretrofitsource.com. That's probably what i'll go with. I picked up a spare set of headlights off of a forum member to butcher and the kit is about under $300 for a bi-xenon HID kit.
Do you have any pics of your build? Did you use one of the Morimoto kits? I've been trying to determine whether there is direct swap in b-xenon solution for the wrangler, but I'm guessing this is as close as it comes? I'm such a noob.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:48 PM
JK Newbie

I have used retrofit source. U will have to hack and glue but if you take your time it comes out great. You will still get high beamed bc your rig sits higher then oncoming cars. Iv been high beamed by cops. Looks great thoughhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QO6i...e_gdata_player
Old 12-10-2011, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do not retrofit HIDs, it is just a bulb swap and ballasts. DDM, IPF, and Cibies have good reviews. (150-200)

If you are talking about projectors, then yes you would have to retrofit them in. You could get the projectors from the retrofit source if you know how to do the work. (look at about 500 in materials). You could also have someone do the retrofit for you, Black Flame Customs is one of the best. But you are looking at 500-600 in labor.

If you are willing to spend that much, dont waste your time... just go striaght to LEDs. Trucklites (~550) and JW Speaker (~800) would be your options.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

just bought a 55w bi-xenon hid for my 2008 on ebay for less than 70$.

then you need a second relay to make the running light work or buy a procal to cancel or relocate them.

works fine.

did it also on a 2010 and no problem.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do you have any pics available of your eBay bulbs installed?
Old 12-19-2011, 02:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

You will regret it. The stock housing sucks. Do it right the first time and convert to IPF H4 lights. Spend the extra $65 bucks, and you'll be happier than a pig in....well, you know.

Quick Reply: HID Retrofit for stock headlights?