Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

HID problems

Old 05-16-2012, 11:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ...funny!

Thats the same brand I made custom lights for my 3000GT with! I run Rigid Industries LED
"2x2 Dually's" in flood with a 10 inch "spot" bar in the center. I think these Bi-Xenon kits in my factory lenses will be the perfect compliment... Now to figure out a price effective HID/LED reverse light!
Old 05-16-2012, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont know if this was covered yet but how about bring all your grounds together at the chassis? A process known as star grounding.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

I ended up pulling my jdm hids on my jku cause I could never get them to stop flickering randomly on low beams. I believe my problem was with canbus and its pulse electrical system.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2001truckin
I ended up pulling my jdm hids on my jku cause I could never get them to stop flickering randomly on low beams. I believe my problem was with canbus and its pulse electrical system.
I have had no flickering on low beam. I have heard of this problem, and seen it on video. I have had no problem with this at all on low beam, or my 4 single beam HID bulbs. On high beam, there is shaking - because the electromagnet pulls the bulb back and it is not well supported. Don't really need high beams anymore other than a warning flash though.

This is an issue of something being left out of the ballast.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cause of the flickering and burnt out ballast are the day time running lights using less volts on the high beam circuit and the current is pulsed like stated before, It's best to use a relay kit for direct power from the battery and use use a AEV Pro-Cal to move DRL to the fogs, low beams or markers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-476848097.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	317929  

Last edited by JeeP_MarK; 05-17-2012 at 03:43 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JeeP_MarK
Cause of the flickering and burnt out ballast are the day time running lights using less volts on the high beam circuit and the current is pulsed like stated before, It's best to use a relay kit for direct power from the battery and use use a AEV Pro-Cal to move DRL to the fogs, low beams or markers
How do you determine if the ballast has gone bad? Replace the ballast? I hit a deep pool of standing water on the road, would this kill the ballast?
Old 05-19-2013, 07:35 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MtnBnd
How do you determine if the ballast has gone bad? Replace the ballast? I hit a deep pool of standing water on the road, would this kill the ballast?
Just switch the ballast from the one that working to the one that isn't working... If it lights up then it's the ballast, if it stays out and the other one lights up still then it could be the bulb or a loose wire

Quick Reply: HID problems