Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

HID problems

Old 05-13-2012, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID problems

I have put some HIDS on my wrangler and every once and a while my lights short out, everyone I have talked to has said all chryslers have problems, I'm a master certified tech for over the road trucks so I know that I wired them right, I just can't figure out whats wrong???? Any ideas
Old 05-13-2012, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default hid

When you say short out------what do you mean? Blowing fuses, stop working, the hid ballasts go bad, ????
Old 05-13-2012, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

Flickering?
Old 05-13-2012, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

I'm having that problem with my wife's car.i told her to turn the lights on instead of using the auto option and they stopped flickering but now either one would turn off At times.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

They don't blow fuses but the ballasts keep going bad
Old 05-13-2012, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default hid

Are you using relays to isolate the Factory wiring? The factory wiring supplying voltage to the OEM headlights pulses the current and will burn up HID ballasts if hooked directly.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:36 AM
JK Freak

You are using cheap ballasts. I have 6 ballasts on my JK. One has died, and it was probably because I hit it with a high pressure spray wand. That was the instant that it failed.

Hours wise, I am guessing an easy 1-200 hours. Everything is working fine.

What brand are you using?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What brands?

OP- What brand HIDs / ballasts are you using?

Ricky- what brand are you using?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Also...

This is why I invested in Rigid LED lights, and am VERY cautious about using another EBAY HID kit for my headlight retrofit- any suggestions regarding retrofits of good value?
Old 05-15-2012, 11:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DeucesALLin
OP- What brand HIDs / ballasts are you using?

Ricky- what brand are you using?
I am using VVME. Their customer service side is lackluster, language problems and lack of knowledge about what products they have in stock, etc. But if you are ordering standard stuff everything goes smooth. The problem I had (probably my fault) was with a specialty ballast that they ended up ceasing production on. The replacement took a long time, and I ended up with a different type of ballast - but they did cover it.

Other than the ballast I hit with the spray wand - every part has been working 100%, closing in on two years for some. I don't have flicker, even with their regular ballasts. The exterior seems well built, and the failed one that I took apart was filled with rubber, so I would believe it could easily take full submersion, just not high psi.

The bulbs also seem to be better than some of the other companies. The pattern that I have is much better than some of the others I have seen.

Sorry it sounds like a commercial, I have just been really pleased with the performance and the price point. If I knew a better (mainly in the USA) place I would get those ones instead.

Quick Reply: HID problems