Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Hi beam trigger- canbus issues.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:38 AM
Huk
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to use the high beams to trigger relays and I believe the canbus is screwing with me now that I have the antiflicker harness for the truck lights. I use a sainsmart relay board for my lights and it only requires 2.5 volts as the 'high' signal with anything between 0.5 and 2.5 as a crapshoot.
I tapped into the antiflicker harness after the capacitor and so I believe the short voltage pulses are enough to give my relay board around 1.2v (measured after the one diode I have in line and with engine off). This has been enough that the board turns the relay on.
So what is my best option considering I apparently need less than a volt to keep from turning the relay on. Not being an electronics person my best idea was to use more diodes.... I like the idea of keeping the connection on the 'headlight 'side of the flicker harness. To keep further isolated from the vehicle electronics. Unless that is not an issue. Thanks.

Last edited by Huk; 07-05-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used my high beam wire to trigger an automotive relay and have not had any issues whatsoever. Maybe it's because the relay is on a board and has different requirements.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Huk
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. That would work. I am just trying to keep with what I have. Trying to keep all the lights controlled from same board and as neat and rememberable/intuitive as I can.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Hi beam trigger- canbus issues.