Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

HELP!!! WOL's Burner Rock Lights Mod!

Old 03-14-2012, 02:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JonG82
So, I just went back into the garage to start my annoying task of trying to find the culprit for my lights not working and what do you know, they f*$kin worked, it must have been water and just needed time to dry out. I'll go ahead and say it so you don't have to, "I'm an a$$", Now I guess my next task is ultimate waterproofing to prevent this from happening again! I TRUELY appreciate everyone (toolow262, Charlie Mike, Orangeav) taking the time to share their time, input, info and knowledge! Hopefully this won't all go to waste and will help others (including me) in the future with this mod..

(I'll also look at re-grounding the ground wires to a better place like you both mentioned. Thank you all again!)

Nice! And no your not an a$$, we all go through the same things! Believe me I sure have
Old 03-14-2012, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah no problem, ultimately just glad you got it working. We all start somewhere.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hmm, I have the same setup and have been through water as well as spray them directly with the hose when washing and haven't had a problem.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Personally i would suggest you move your ground to an actual frame point, sounds like water and grime got inbetween your mount and ground point changing your potential diffrential to ground causing your likes to not work. Just my .02
Old 03-14-2012, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree 150%. Relocate ground to battery terminal. If contact has any paint etc, the lights might work and sometimes not. Is be willing to bet its a ground issue and certainly point out its not a water issue.

Originally Posted by Ssm2011
Personally i would suggest you move your ground to an actual frame point, sounds like water and grime got inbetween your mount and ground point changing your potential diffrential to ground causing your likes to not work. Just my .02
Old 03-14-2012, 03:43 PM
JK Super Freak

no worries, glad they are up and running again. I know it has been said, but absolutely ground to the frame. It will make a world of difference in the long run. Also, dbl check the connections at the switch. I dont think water alone was the culprit here. Make sure your switch ground is making good, clean contact and is not on a painted surface.

Last edited by Orangeav; 03-14-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0798(little).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	289113Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0796(little).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	289111Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0795(little).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	289112

Just some documentation so eveyone doesn't think im crazy..

I'll need to take better photos later outside when it gets dark. I'll be adding the rear lights on tonight.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thank you all!

Sounds like the decision is unanimous, haha, i'll definately move the grounding wires tonight first thing, what you all are saying makes sense and thats a good call. I'll be sure to post up pics when I get the rear lights on as well! Once again, thank you all for your help. No doubt, its members like you guys that make this a great fourm.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by will16
Hmm, I have the same setup and have been through water as well as spray them directly with the hose when washing and haven't had a problem.
Hey Will, Yea, I saw your setup in a thread posted by WOL (I believe he posted it ) it looked great. Its interesting to hear you say you sprayed them directly with a hose and they worked fine. Like I said, i'm not the best when it comes to electrical work so it might have been due to how I grounded the wires or what not like the others have mentioned. I even mounted the light upside down (just the light itself, not the bracket obviously) to put the small vent on the side of the light flush against the mounting point hoping it would have greater chances of keeping out any chances of water. Here in Portland, we get ALOT of rain but its definately not like spray it with a water hose. Glad to hear your lights are running strong though
Old 03-14-2012, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JonG82

Hey Will, Yea, I saw your setup in a thread posted by WOL (I believe he posted it ) it looked great. Its interesting to hear you say you sprayed them directly with a hose and they worked fine. Like I said, i'm not the best when it comes to electrical work so it might have been due to how I grounded the wires or what not like the others have mentioned. I even mounted the light upside down (just the light itself, not the bracket obviously) to put the small vent on the side of the light flush against the mounting point hoping it would have greater chances of keeping out any chances of water. Here in Portland, we get ALOT of rain but its definately not like spray it with a water hose. Glad to hear your lights are running strong though
Thanks. Glad you got yours working. Best of luck with them. I actually still have a third set that I've been meaning to mount somewhere on the sides... One of these days

Quick Reply: HELP!!! WOL's Burner Rock Lights Mod!