Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Help taping to reverse lights

Old 06-14-2011, 08:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help taping to reverse lights

I am about to install a rearview camera and monitor. The monitor i have can be tapped to the reverse lights (or anywhere to receive power when in reverse).
I need to know if there's a place to tap the reverse wire somewhere near the dash... i would like to avoid going all the way to the rear lights to tap a monitor installed on my rear view mirror.
If any of you know that i DO have to go to the rear lights, can you tell me how to identify the correct wire for the reverse lights?

Thank you guys!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Actually, there is. You can look for the connect C200 in the passenger foot well behind the speaker. It might be easier to removed the glove box (it pops out and back in).

Click image for larger version

Name:	c200 footwell.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	171923

If you disconnect the connector, you will see one of these, depending on if you are looking at the side with the male or female connectors. You will see some very small numbers on the face of the connector if you can get a good look at it. Just start at pin 1 and count over to the 3rd pin.

Name:	c2002.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	171925

Name:	c2001.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	171926

You will be looking for the wire that goes to pin 3 (white and grey wire). If you can't really get to it, just trace the white and grey wire down to where you can. Shouldn't be too hard since wire 3 should will be one of the wires going into the top of the connector and will be on the outside of the bundle at least where it disconnects. It doesn't matter which side of the connector you tap it on, just give it at least an inch or so.

EDIT: If you do end up going to the reverse lights, the power wire will be the one going to the lower light. On your left tail light, it will be a white and grey wire if you don't have a tow connector or it will be white and light green if you do have one. On your right tail light, it will be white and grey.

Last edited by HoodJK; 06-14-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:41 PM
JK Freak

Woa! Now that is one hell of a complete and fast answer!
I figured i will be looking for the reverse wire in the tail lights anyways for the camera power... so thanx for that info.
I'm pretty sure i'll be making this install over the weekend... i'll come back and let you (and everyone who may find this thread useful) know how it went.

Thnx a lot!
Old 07-29-2012, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any chance you can post a pic and info on the monitor you used, and whether or not you like it?
Old 08-19-2012, 04:49 PM
JK Newbie

with all the small wires that are now in today's vehicles.i would run a relay and have it trigger the relay for the lights.
that is what i did for my light on my AEV tire carrier

Quick Reply: Help taping to reverse lights