Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

help picking lights

Old 12-19-2012, 09:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help picking lights

Im going to be ordering rigid duallys. i will be pitting them on mt a pillars. i cant decide on spots or floods. i would rather have the sides illuminated well. will the spots illuminate the sides good enough or will the floods be better. these are a gift so im not getting the d2 either pics from the drivers seat would be great too.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:39 AM
JK Newbie

I prefer floods and then spots on the front or roof.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by suds1485
Im going to be ordering rigid duallys. i will be pitting them on mt a pillars. i cant decide on spots or floods. i would rather have the sides illuminated well. will the spots illuminate the sides good enough or will the floods be better. these are a gift so im not getting the d2 either pics from the drivers seat would be great too.
On A Pillars, Spots will not illuminate the sides. But Floods WILL illuminate the Hood. Some people find that very distracting.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

i ordered the rigid dually floods. if i find it too distracting its just an excuse to buy more
Old 12-21-2012, 05:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
On A Pillars, Spots will not illuminate the sides. But Floods WILL illuminate the Hood. Some people find that very distracting.
Yeah, I was thinking about that the other day.
Be better off putting them on the bumper.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:52 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by suds1485
i ordered the rigid dually floods. if i find it too distracting its just an excuse to buy more
Exactly and then if u get the spots too just move the floods to the bumper
Old 12-21-2012, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

I have two 100watt KC HiLiTes driving lights mounted on the front bumper overrider, and two rigid dually spots on the A-pilars.

Usually, I pre-adjust and angle the lights depending on the trail. At some point I was on a forest trail at night, and the way the duallys were set up was perfectly illuminating both sides of the trail, despite them being spots. What I did was slightly point them in an angle, away from the jeep rather than parallel with the jeep.

Some say that if you really want LED spots with a good throw distance, you may want to consider dually D2... they were too pricey for me. I'm persoanlly happy with the amount of light my current set up puts out. Though, that doesn't mean I'm not going to get more lights installed haha! my next will be couple of diffused duallys for the rear. I have mixed feelings about light bars.

PS. I used to have 4 hella 500 spots, and whenever I used to turn on these two duallys in addition to the hellas, it was like the hellas were not there anymore... the duallys are pretty bright.

###
Old 12-21-2012, 10:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the info guys. ill post pics of them up when i install them. prob be next week end

Quick Reply: help picking lights