Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Help with New Headunit/ Sub Installation

Old 03-22-2012, 08:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with New Headunit/ Sub Installation

Looking for some guidance from some fellow JK owners. I have a 2012 Wrangler Sport (withOUT infinity). I had a local audio shop (Thumpin Car Stereo) install 4 Pioneer A1674r speakers and a 2 channel 400w Jensen amp. I am a bit disappointed with the result (louder but no bass or meaty sound at ALL).

So thru my research and what i'm told, an aftermarket HU will drastically improve audio quality coming thru the speakers? I also decided to add a sub in the back. SO, i'm looking at either a Pioneer DEH-P9400BH or Kenwood Excelon KDC-X796 H/U (both around $220 on crutchfield) and a Pioneer TS-SWX251 shallow 10" loaded sub in the back.

So i will have the speakers running off new HU and the sub thru the Jensen amp. I know the shop where I had the speakers installed can't come close to crutchfield prices, and the guy claims that the free hardware (antenna adapter, in-dash reciever kit, and antenna cable) and the $65 Chrylser PAC harness are junk.

So HERE is the question: Do i buy the equipment from crutchfield and have best buy install the stuff, or probably end up paying probably a good $100-200 more and have a audio shop thats been in business 22yrs do it??

I'm clueless with wiring and stuff and don't want to rip apart my dash. I'm in a real pickle...
Old 03-22-2012, 09:01 AM
JK Junkie

Is it true what the guy said about the free H/U hardware from crutchfield being junk, or is it perfectly acceptable to use? I'm just nervous about taking a gamble with best buy...
Old 03-22-2012, 11:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with the local shop

Matthew
Old 04-02-2012, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kh202
Looking for some guidance from some fellow JK owners. I have a 2012 Wrangler Sport (withOUT infinity). I had a local audio shop (Thumpin Car Stereo) install 4 Pioneer A1674r speakers and a 2 channel 400w Jensen amp. I am a bit disappointed with the result (louder but no bass or meaty sound at ALL).

So thru my research and what i'm told, an aftermarket HU will drastically improve audio quality coming thru the speakers? I also decided to add a sub in the back. SO, i'm looking at either a Pioneer DEH-P9400BH or Kenwood Excelon KDC-X796 H/U (both around $220 on crutchfield) and a Pioneer TS-SWX251 shallow 10" loaded sub in the back.

So i will have the speakers running off new HU and the sub thru the Jensen amp. I know the shop where I had the speakers installed can't come close to crutchfield prices, and the guy claims that the free hardware (antenna adapter, in-dash reciever kit, and antenna cable) and the $65 Chrylser PAC harness are junk.

So HERE is the question: Do i buy the equipment from crutchfield and have best buy install the stuff, or probably end up paying probably a good $100-200 more and have a audio shop thats been in business 22yrs do it??

I'm clueless with wiring and stuff and don't want to rip apart my dash. I'm in a real pickle...
Based on my recent experience with upgrading my system (non-Infinity head unit & standard speakers) I can tell you the following:
- I replaced my sound bar speakers with polk 2-ways and the front speakers with polk DB6501 component speakers. I placed a lot of polyfill material (sound dampening - available from most arts & crafts stores - I got mine form two old house speakers) in the sound bar cavities as well as in the front speaker boxes and made sure all contact surfaces between the speakers and adapter brackets/speaker boxes were sealed with silicone sealer. Dude, I can tell you that the sound in my JKU right now, (no external amp or sub...yet) is like "holy crap!!!" compared to what it was with the stock speakers. Lots of bass and the volume tops out at a much, much higher level...with no distortion. Just that upgarde alone, if done right, should provide you with a huge improvement. And I mean HUUUUGE improvement. Trust me, you don't have to replace the stock head unit to get this improvement. The guys that swapped out your speakers either didn't use polyfill, connected the speaker wires out of phase or both. The JK's speaker wires are individually color coded so without a diagram it would be near impossible to do it right. There are many threads on the Jeep forums that provide pretty good write-ups and pics on speaker replacement, speaker wire color coding etc. The next phase of my install is to add an 800W 4ch amp and an Infinity Basslink sub. First step would be to install a PAC SEOM-4 line-out-converter (LOC) to convert the speker out's to RCA out's so as to not rely on high-level inputs directly from the head unit's speaker wires for input to the amp. I have been told that, although high level input to the amp is fine, it does take away some of teh sound quality. (can't comment on hoew true thsi is but though I'd err on the side of caution). The LOC will also provide the amp with a remote turn-on when turning the ignition switch. Tapping the LOC into the ignition hot wire for power seems relatively simple and can be found, as I said earlier, in other forum posts. The Basslink sub will tap into the 4x2 speaker output wires from the amp to the speakers, as it allows for high level input. (Sound quality for subwoofer purposes is not that important). Power for the amp and Basslink will come from an 8 gage wire running from the battery's positive terminal to a distribution block from where it will be split into 2x4 gage power wires: one for the amp and one for the Basslink (which has its own internal amp). There are plenty of places to ground both the amp and sub.

Anyway, that's my setup and, with phase 1 completed, the sound has improved so dramatically that I had a brief thought of not even installing an amp but only the Basslink. Anyway, I drank a beer and shook the thought. Now its just a case of finding the time to finish the project... Hope this helps.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:50 PM
JK Junkie

I Just replaced the hu with kenwood excelon kdc796 and added pioneer ts-swx251 sub... Also poly filled the speakers.. Sounds pretty awesome., sub sounds like a sledge back there of I want it to.. Staying put for now...

Last edited by kh202; 04-02-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Seen several reports on here that the PAC harnesses are the thing to have. Not junk.

Car stereo wiring isn't hard. I HATE electrical work but do all my own car stereo stuff. Hardest part is soldering...mine looks like goobs of crap but it works every time...and reading the wiring diagrams...but I have ADHD squared or something so it might just be me.

I will say I have become NOT a fan of Crutchfield's install kits. The actual brackets and install components that secure the radio in place. Wiring harnesses and other components have been fine but the Scoshe (sp?) brand stuff is almost always junk or half crap. Done my last three installs with Metra brand install kits and had a much better experience and finished product.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say try it yourself and if that doesn't work take it to a shop. (a real audio shop) I have done the polyfil as mentioned before in my NONinfinity system and it works great. I took out my stock sound bar speakers and put in infinity speakers from a 2007 my buddy gave me. I'm about to out kickers in the front and the sound bar. I am also adding a touchscreen nav headunit as well as a 1500 watt kicker amp to push 2 12 inch kicker L7s for all my window breaking bass needs. I'm doing all of this myself and I'm 16 so I'm sure you can do it. My Job deals with alot of wiring and soldering so I have experience there but it's nothing hard at all. (I know your all thinking I'm just some stupid kid but I'm not, I have 2 jeeps that I have personally done everything to to show it ( including a built cj7 with a fire breathing amc 360 and Dana 60s waiting to be finished to roll on 44s) I hope this helps, and good luck. Any questions please ask.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

It was worth it to me to have my local, well-recommended car audio shop (Ear Candy, Burlington, NC) do the work. The install is super clean, and everything worked from the moment I picked the Jeep up. I also had the non-Infinity system. Did that intentionally, after reading that some folks were disappointed in the sound quality. I figured I could go aftermarket and come out with better sound for the cost of the optional Infinity system. And I was right.

FYI, I put in a Pioneer DVD4400 HU, replaced all front and sound bar components with Rockford Fosgate Prime, added a 10" RF Prime Sub and a 250W RF amp.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kh202

I have a 2011 JK Sport with the standard audio system. I say, go with the install yourself. I have some mechanical ability but had not really ever got into car audio. I did a HU upgrade, added a front amp, replaced all the speakers in the front and in the soundbar. I also added some image tweeters for the front. I added a sub in the back with amp. I wanted to keep a clean factory install look so took the time and everything turned out great. With the help of the JK-forum and a little self-education you can do it too. Plus it is just a lot more fun...
Old 04-06-2012, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have the shop that's been in business for 22 years do it. If you buy better equipment, install it right. Period. See if they will build you a box that downfires into the car and a line-Xed box so moisture control is accurate. Then see if your subs are marine certified.

Quick Reply: Help with New Headunit/ Sub Installation