Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

help me troubleshoot my lights!

Old 07-14-2011, 10:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me troubleshoot my lights!

Hey all thanks in advance for the help.

I just installed a pair of hella rallye 1000s on my bumper. I have installed a lot of lights on cars before and this install went smoothly... or at least i thought. Everything works great with the engine off. The lights come on with the high beams and off with the low beams and so fourth. However as i found out tonight this is NOT true with the engine running. With the engine running the hellas will flash on quickly then off again with the high beams. they will then stay off until you cycle the lights and flash again. They will stay on for about a half second before shutting off. Could this be a bad relay? the only thing that is different is the alternator so could the increase in current cause the relay to open somehow?
Old 07-15-2011, 12:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bowerss2
Hey all thanks in advance for the help.

I just installed a pair of hella rallye 1000s on my bumper. I have installed a lot of lights on cars before and this install went smoothly... or at least i thought. Everything works great with the engine off. The lights come on with the high beams and off with the low beams and so fourth. However as i found out tonight this is NOT true with the engine running. With the engine running the hellas will flash on quickly then off again with the high beams. they will then stay off until you cycle the lights and flash again. They will stay on for about a half second before shutting off. Could this be a bad relay? the only thing that is different is the alternator so could the increase in current cause the relay to open somehow?
The newer JK's use a modulated power source to the headlamps. Standard relays do not like this source. Some people have installed a capacitor inline with this source to the relay. While others have completly abandoned the idea of using the headlamps as a trigger.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
The newer JK's use a modulated power source to the headlamps. Standard relays do not like this source. Some people have installed a capacitor inline with this source to the relay. While others have completly abandoned the idea of using the headlamps as a trigger.
ahhhhhh you mean the headlights are pulse width modulated... well that explains why the relay is opening. i swear some Chrysler engineer's crack pipe is still hot to the touch... thanks for pointing out what would have taken me HOURS (and probably several relays) to figure out.

cheers

Steve
Old 07-15-2011, 08:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bowerss2
i swear some Chrysler engineer's crack pipe is still hot to the touch...

cheers

Steve
You sure got that right! Mechanically the JK is great, but Mopar can take the quirky unpredictable electronics and send them back to geekville.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

so where is the best place to tap the purple wire into?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by joeystj20
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the first post. But, Need more information?
Old 11-10-2011, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joeystj20
I would suggest wiring it to the fuse box & run an indpendant switch
Old 11-10-2011, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

X2 I wired up my hella 500ff's to an independent switch, mine was for the reason that I wanted to be able to run them high, low, or just by themselves if I really wanted to, people use alot of different setups but I got a daystar lower panel and I came out pretty clean, good luck!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can run an independent switch or you can tap into the parking lights. That also seems to work. Idk.

Quick Reply: help me troubleshoot my lights!