Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Help with light wiring

Old 05-25-2012, 11:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with light wiring

Hello everyone here. I just got a 2012 jk about a month ago and just bought some windsheild mounts and lights to go on there and had a few questions about installing them.
First, how do I run the wires through the firewall to the dash for the switch?
Second, how do i attach the switch to the dash? Do i have to remove the dashboard? If so how would i do that?
And finally, they are hella 500 black magic with a driving beam. How am i supposed to have them aimed?
Thank you in advanced for any and all help
Old 05-26-2012, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

First most people run the wire through the fire wall behind the glove box straight off the battery.

Second, you need to pick where you want the switch, most likely you will need to take the dash pannel off.

third, I would start by aiming your Hella's about 6 to 10 inches above where your low beams are aimed at about 25 to 30 feet from the aiming point. then take them out and drive with them and fine tune it from there.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

[attach=config]322806[/attach][attach=config]322807[/attach][attach=config]322808[/attach]
yeah, your going to want to aim them so what the light pattern is stacked, one on top of the other. I adjusted mine so that they are just above the high beams to throw the spot lights farther down the trail. They way i mounted my switch, meant i didnt have to take the dash apart, just the one side panel. When you remove that side panel, you should also see a round hole, filled with foam. You can run your wires right through there too and across the front cowl.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120504_170721.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	322806   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120424_213127.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	322807   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111229_005037.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	322808  
Old 05-29-2012, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

How do you take out the side panel of the dash? Just pull?
Old 05-29-2012, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah pretty much. There are a bunch of install write ups on here that should be able to guide you through no problem
Old 05-31-2012, 06:26 AM
JK Newbie

To answer your 2nd question, I found a writeup that mmccurdy posted for making a custom switch panel overhead between the visors. I'm planning on doing this soon. I think it's pretty badass, allowing room for additional switches in the future.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/custom-switch-panel-winch-control-75431/
Old 05-31-2012, 07:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look under the driver side wiper with the hood open in the corner is a block of foam this is where your wires pass thru , remove the side panel on the dash drivers side by gently prying it off with a small screwdriver or similar once removed youll see the foam usena straightened coat hanger to gently push thru all the way , there is only a small area that is open you may hit sheet metal several times before you succeed aim for the upper most left quadrant of the foam . once thru you can se urely tape your wires to the hanger and pull thru do one at a time as the foam will resist larger diameters also you can mount the switch on the left hand side ear the door in the open area that wAy all your wires Are
already there ready to plug in . i used a step
bit to get the he sized correctly for the switch . run your brown ground wire back thru the foam from your switch and there is a handy dandy ground post that has some factory grounds already attached . when you mount your relay there is another ground post on pass side for that . make sure all wiring is secure and wrapped
with plastic loom so that it doesnt chafe and burn your rig down . i am going to post a video of my light install on youtube tomorrow

Quick Reply: Help with light wiring