Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

HELP! Jeep has no power, but ONE taillight is on~

Old 08-09-2010, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Jeep has no power, but ONE taillight is on~

Ok...So went to dinner and came out to a quick pop of power followed by no power at all. No lights or anything. Pop the hood assuming its either a fuse or just battery. So...then

- Hear the starter/run relay clicking with no key or with key in start, no difference.(I assume its not getting enough power to stay open?). This faded as the battery lost more power.
- Right taillight is ON, sucking power.
- A jumpstart yielded power to the jeep (in the form of lights all at full brightness and christmas tree in the dash) and the starter clicking, but no start. Even with waiting a few to let juice flow.
- Pulled the fuse from the tail light to try and save my battery and get out of the rain until tomorrow morning...and the damn tail light stays on.
---Mods that hopefully don't have anything to do with it- CB grounded to the bottom of my sub. KC lights fuse-piggybacked to the on switch.

I did play with the wiring to the rear tailight to try and perhaps move any short that may be happening, no change in gremlin tail light status.

HELP! I am planning on playing with it a bit more in the morning before its towed to the dealership. I have the Chrysler Lifetime warranty...any thoughts on this would be awesome!
Old 08-09-2010, 07:16 PM
JK Freak

I had the same thing happen after returning from vacation a few weeks back.
Went to unhook the Jeep from the RV and it would not start, decided to wait til the next day to check it out but noticed the one taillight burning dimly. Pulled the fuse again with mixed results (sometimes it worked, sometimes it did not). Ended up disconnecting the battery and jumped it off the next day.
Took a long time to jump start it, but it did start finally and has been OK since.

I think that there was enough residual power left in the battery to provide some power to the computer system and that was causing the weird lighting problems. (some of the dash lights were on dimly as well)

Since just about everything electrical on the JK is controlled through the computer system, some weirdness is to be expected when the battery power is depleted to the point where it will no longer start.

Still do not know what I did wrong hooking the Jeep up for towing for the trip home. Everything worked fine on the trip to PINS.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:34 PM
JK Junkie

YOu know the same thing happened to me when i owned my Patriot i was leaving the university hopped into my ride and "POP". Luckily for me i was able to get to the dealer before my Jeep completely died on me. The dealer told me it was the battery and they replaced it for me.

Quick Reply: HELP! Jeep has no power, but ONE taillight is on~