Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Help headlight harness broken

Old 10-18-2013, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help headlight harness broken

I just bought some new trucklites thinking they would solve my problem but the harnesses won't connect unless I was holding them tight.

So the headlight harness at the connection is broken. The little red tabs that hold the harnesses tight is broken.

If anyone has a solution to this, I would greatly appreciate it. What I think are some possible solutions are:

1) cut my new trucklite harness and my old harness and electrical tap the wires together. I don't want to do this because I would have no plastic connection on my jeep or the trucklites.

2) connect them together and try and find a clamp or tap them so they won't move. But I think over time and the vibrations of the road they will loosen.

3) nail the plastic connections together and then tape just a very small nail in where the plastic has no wires or metal connection.

Do they make replacement harnesses, I have searched high and low and never found anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Old 10-18-2013, 10:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Be a little more specific. Which trucklite harness is it. The new pwm harness or plain h14-h4 harness. Pictures might help.
I think I understand what your problem is though, but correct me if I'm wrong. The prongs that are inside the plastic square ish box that holds all three connectors is loose (possibly on the h4 plug, not the h13 correct?). If this is so, then this is common and you can either use a fab of silicone to hold it in there, pull it out and with a tiny flat screw driver pull the tab on the prong itself out so that when you put it back into the connector it locks in, or my favorite, use a combination of the first two plus add some tape so that the wires are being held against the connector and there's no way for them to come loose again. Hope that helps
Old 10-19-2013, 03:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

can you use a zip tie to hold the plug and connector together?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7814.sized.jpg
Views:	851
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	506111
Old 10-19-2013, 04:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I zip tied mine and I also had to zip tie it upto the sensor for if the hoods open. If the wire isn't vertical the light won't work on mine lol

Sent from my obama monitoring device
Old 10-21-2013, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the help guys, I just went out and bought new harnesses, $63 a side so people don't break them or you will have to fork out the dough and rewire your harness
Old 10-22-2013, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

damn, I was too late to comment on this, I did the same thing and broke the red tab on my OEM headlight harness when doing a light swap. Right now I used a real ghetto method of electric tape wrapped to hold the harness together, but I bought a Putco H13 harness, same as the OEM and will just cut off the broken one and splice the Putco harness to the end and should be a good as new connection for the JW Speaker lights I am going to put in next weekend.

I was going to replace the entire wiring harness as you did with OEM parts but didn't want to deal with that price right now.

Quick Reply: Help headlight harness broken