Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Help and comments - Simple and good audio upgrade with stock infinity HU

Old 03-08-2013, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Skippman
You wouldn't. This is where things like the JL Audio Clean Sweep try to fix problems that shouldn't exist in the first place. My recommendation would be to remove the factory amp and install something called a Line Out Converter or LOC. Companies like Rockford Fosgate, AudioControl, and even Scosche make them in varying degrees of complexity. Personally I like the ones from AudioControl due to their built in line summing features and crossover networks which are more robust than you'd find on a typical amp.

This will convert the standard bare wire output from the head unit into a 4-5V RCA style output which will then connect directly to the amp of your choice. If you're not looking to get very sophisticated then the Scosche units work great as they're cheap and compact. This coupled with an Alpine PDX series amp or one of the new compact RF amps would make a great starting point for the Jeep.

Remember, this is a Jeep. The acoustics will always be extremely poor. You can compensate with volume but don't expect high quality audiophile grade audio. I personally decided to abandon my system design on the JK and instead focus that energy into my daily driver. Your milage may vary.
Guys,

Thanks a lot for your responses! This is why JK Forum is the best, we are all just trying to help out.

Skippman: You explained my point exactly as I wanted to. I don't want or need audiophile devices on my jeep, I have my DD for that. But I do want louder quality audio, just to be able to enjoy music when I'm on the trail or the road without the hard cover.

Let me see if I understood you correctly> Having the infinity system (HU and the amp) and not wanting to change the HU, I should leave everything as it is right now. After the stock infinity amp, put a an inexpensive line out converter. this will feed a new amp, that will drive the four speakers (dashboard and sound bar).

For the speakers I'm thinking JBL GTO 638 front and bar. For the Amp an Alpine MRP-F300 4-Channel 300 Watts Amplifier (one first, possibly two if I find that is needed one for the front and another for the bar). The LOC will have to be two, how about the LC2i - Audiocontrol? I'm adding links to the devices.

Amazon.com: LC2i - Audiocontrol 2-channel line output converter for adding amps to your factory system: Electronics

Amazon.com: JBL GTO638 6.5-Inch 3-Way Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics

Amazon.com: Alpine MRP-F300 4-Channel 300 Watts Amplifier: Electronics

Any recommendations on the sub? maybe bridge the stock amp and put a better sub in the stock enclosure?

As always, your comments are very much welcome!

Best regards,

Hans
Old 03-08-2013, 10:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hans,

A couple things.

On the Alpine amp, that's a Class A/B. I'd be worried about heat with that particular unit if you're planning on mounting it in the factory location. I'd recommend a Class D for that application. Consider something like the Rocford Fosgate R400-4D if you're looking for something OEM sized. If you're looking to run a sub off that as well, maybe consider the Alpine PDX5 if you can find one used. They fit with minimal modification and will meet all your needs.

On the LOC, the AudioControl LC6i is only $20 more on Amazon and will do 6 channels, one more than you're going to need for your project.

To my understanding you'll want to splice the LOC before the Infinity amp. But I will let someone with more experience in that area jump in and give a definitive answer.

- Skip
Old 03-08-2013, 11:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hvilla
I don't want or need audiophile devices on my jeep, I have my DD for that
I'd like to know what you consider "audiophile".
Old 03-08-2013, 11:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have the infinity amp, but I went straight from the h/u to my Pioneer amp with the built-in speaker-lever input capability. No additional loc necesary, and the reproduced sound is excellent for my needs. I retained fade/balance/equalizing capabilities.

I am running 6.5 polk components up front and 6.5 polk coax in the sound bar. My JL 8" sub is on a separate amp I already owned and connected to the 4 channel pioneer via rca cables.

From my limited understanding, you will want the pre amplified signal for your amp/loc, essentially bypassing the infinity amp.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
I'd like to know what you consider "audiophile".
hehehe! As with any toy, the sky is the limit!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Patman
I dont have the infinity amp, but I went straight from the h/u to my Pioneer amp with the built-in speaker-lever input capability. No additional loc necesary, and the reproduced sound is excellent for my needs. I retained fade/balance/equalizing capabilities.

I am running 6.5 polk components up front and 6.5 polk coax in the sound bar. My JL 8" sub is on a separate amp I already owned and connected to the 4 channel pioneer via rca cables.

From my limited understanding, you will want the pre amplified signal for your amp/loc, essentially bypassing the infinity amp.
Patman, Excellent advise!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Skippman
Hans,

A couple things.

On the Alpine amp, that's a Class A/B. I'd be worried about heat with that particular unit if you're planning on mounting it in the factory location. I'd recommend a Class D for that application. Consider something like the Rocford Fosgate R400-4D if you're looking for something OEM sized. If you're looking to run a sub off that as well, maybe consider the Alpine PDX5 if you can find one used. They fit with minimal modification and will meet all your needs.

On the LOC, the AudioControl LC6i is only $20 more on Amazon and will do 6 channels, one more than you're going to need for your project.

To my understanding you'll want to splice the LOC before the Infinity amp. But I will let someone with more experience in that area jump in and give a definitive answer.

- Skip
Skip,

Thanks for your advise. I'll look a little more regarding the amp as you suggested and will buy the loc you indicated!

Thanks again for all your help man!

Quick Reply: Help and comments - Simple and good audio upgrade with stock infinity HU