Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Help on basic sound system upgrade

Old 11-16-2012, 11:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on basic sound system upgrade

Hey everyone I'm looking to upgrade my stock sound system in my 08 X unlimited. I'm pretty fed up with the current set up, but I'm a total newbie when it comes to sound systems, and I don't really have any idea where to start.
I bought a pair of 6 1/2" alpine speakers a little over a year ago with intentions of upgrading the entire system, but insufficient funds ended that pretty quickly. I'm not looking for anything over the top just something with more clarity, more power, and maybe a little thump. I want to keep the stock head unit if possible to keep it looking as factory as possible, but I am willing to upgrade if need be.
My budget is only about $400 to $500 any help you can give would be much appreciated.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:22 PM
JK Newbie

Nothing??? I know there's ton of threads about this because I've tried to read them, but a lot of this audio and electrical stuff is a little over my head. I just don't have any experience with audio or electrical components.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Crutchfield is your friend. You can order speakers through them and install yourself because they give you everything including step by step instructions.

I would suggest an Infinity Basslink II from them as well, which is a self-powered subwoofer. If you don't have a any stereo install skills, you may want to have a local shop install it. Crutchfield has 1-800 tech people to walk you through it.

You might also check into Quadratec's plug and play stereos for the JK. They are really easy to install.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks you for the reply Ill definitely check out the infinity bass link sub. I was planning on giving crutchfield a call but was a little hesitant since I really don't know what all I need to make everything work and I figured that they might try to sell me something I don't need.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ask about the Polk DB651 speakers. They just plug right in as do many of their other models.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:38 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
Ask about the Polk DB651 speakers. They just plug right in as do many of their other models.
X2 Polk's are really nice, I've ad those in the past

Matthew
Old 11-17-2012, 06:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Matthewd5

X2 Polk's are really nice, I've ad those in the past

Matthew
X3. I love my polks.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you want to keep your stock head unit then try the Alpine MRX-V70 5 channel amp, allows for speaker level input, Alpine SPR-50 for the sound bar and Alpine SPR-60C components for the fronts and an Alpine amp. To bad your not closer, have brand new Kicker's for the sound bar and Kicker components for the front still in the box with wiring from Crutchfield. Bought them for my 2011, not looking to upgrade my 2013 yet.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:32 PM
JK Newbie

The stock amp is the real problem, speakers are't all that bad. Also heard of alot of people filling the soundbars with polyfill.... they say it makes the sounder fuller and louder but I haven't tried it myself yet.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by socc3rakd25
The stock amp is the real problem, speakers are't all that bad. Also heard of alot of people filling the soundbars with polyfill.... they say it makes the sounder fuller and louder but I haven't tried it myself yet.
yeah i agree.. i'm not sure how much of an improvement OP will get from changing the speakers whilst retaining stock HU / amp...

mababcocks solution seems alright and id be looking into that kind of setup however i'm pretty sure the soundbar in the 08 takes 6.5"? if this is the case have a look at SPR-60 rather than the SPR-50.. someone let me know if im wrong plz

have a look into polyfill as well ive seen heaps of posts recommending it

Quick Reply: Help on basic sound system upgrade