Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Hella 500FF...Are they worth it?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got them. There are probably brighter options out there, but it is not like they do not get the job done.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you guys really happy with these lights? I put them on my windshield mounts and they are absolutely horrible, basically on there for looks now. No brighter than factory head lights, and are not even comparable to the factory head light high beams. Just not sure how some say they are good. Anyone else think these things are a waste?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hella 500FF...Are they worth it?

Originally Posted by MX355
Are you guys really happy with these lights? I put them on my windshield mounts and they are absolutely horrible, basically on there for looks now. No brighter than factory head lights, and are not even comparable to the factory head light high beams. Just not sure how some say they are good. Anyone else think these things are a waste?
Are they aimed properly? If you have them pointed up to high they won't do jack. Mine on my bumper were brighter than my high beams by a lil bit. They must be properly aimed to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2010, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

only issue with mine is they aren't submersible. So, if you go through any mudholes, expect to see water behind the lens.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine are mounted on windshield and maybe thats just to high for them, guess I'll go tinker with them a little more.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have 7 of them mounted on my JK, so far they have been working flawlessly. There are better lights out there but none for the same price . They provide me with plenty of light that I need.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MX355
Alot of the times if youre not driving offroad the extra lights dont look like they do squat. When on, everything looks the same except a little bit brighter. Once you get offroad, that extra brightness translates into lighting everything up- which is what theyre meant to do.

Now I dont have these lights nor have I seen them being used on trails by others, but I would expect that the extra light that these things kick out would be helpful.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine work good for off road, 20 to 30 mph. Good for spotting game. I have not had any problems yet!!! Windshield mount.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you put "Driving Lights" on the windshield you're going to get some glare off the hood because it's a wider beam. Get some "long range lights" for the windshield. They have a longer and more of a pencil beam.

Driving lights are for the bumper or light hoop, and fogs should be mounted lower than the driving lights.

Quick Reply: Hella 500FF...Are they worth it?