Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Hella 500FF...Are they worth it?

Old 06-03-2010, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hella 500FF...Are they worth it?

I've got a set of Hella 500FF lights I am planning on mounting in windshield brackets. Just wondering if they are worth the effort? I searched and found some info of the 500, but not a lot on the 500FF. I'm sure using only a 55w bulb, they aren't going to incinerate small animals or anything.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

I have 500 driving lights on my windshield mounts and i love them ... i use them instead of high beams ... those + 500 fogs + low beams = DAY LIGHT
Old 06-03-2010, 05:49 PM
JK Newbie

I had a set of 500FF lights windshield-mounted on my TJ... The lights worked great, only complaint I had was that there was glare off the side of the lens facing inwards that made it hard to see at times. Other than that, no complaints - the light output was awesome!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love mine....
Old 06-04-2010, 05:57 AM
JK Newbie

They're just ok- I agree with the earlier comment about glare. I think I remember reading on this forum about someone who pulled the lenses out and painted the edge- I imagine that should help but I haven't got around to it yet. The lights were a good price at Wal*Mart, which was my main reason for buying them. I also did the H4 headlight conversion at the same time, and that got me more bang for my buck.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:13 AM
JK Freak

I use the 500FF on my windshield and the 500 fogs on the bumper. They have all the light you need. I use the grillz instead of the full covers and it helps a little with the glare off the side of the light.
I would have choosen a smaller light for the windshield as to not block my view so much to the front corners. But the price is just too good.
I also want to go to 100w bulbs cuase the 55w are good but I want great!

Focusing is pretty easy with em and the mix of the fogs and driving lights gives a blanket of comerage.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

I had those lights and was very unimpressed. For me after seeing the output I decided not to permanently wire them and wait and get something brighter.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:51 PM
JK Newbie

Also almost every set of Hella's I have had have ended up with moisture/condensation inside. Good decent lights, great price, but there are better out there.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine have been on for a year now with no issues. Been through the harshest winter norther va has had in about a century, covered in snow, slush, and ice, and even now with summer here no fogging or moisture in the lenses. Great for the price. Got mine at walmart for $45.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by highoctane
Mine have been on for a year now with no issues. Been through the harshest winter norther va has had in about a century, covered in snow, slush, and ice, and even now with summer here no fogging or moisture in the lenses. Great for the price. Got mine at walmart for $45.
Same here.. mine are mounted on the front bumper, have not have any issues.. work great at night for backroad driving.
I may move them up the windshield and put hella fogs in the front to get a wider beam.

Quick Reply: Hella 500FF...Are they worth it?