Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Hella 500 mopar light covers

Old 01-28-2009, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hella 500 mopar light covers

Does anyone know where I can get just the black light covers in the pic? I am going to buy some Hella 500ff driving lights but hate the covers they come with and I can`t use the clear shields.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mopar light covers.jpg
Views:	903
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	18418  
Old 01-29-2009, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the 500's on Smittybilt windshield brackets. I hated the white covers! I ended up painting them with flat black spray paint! If you use a good quality brand, it will hold up. I installed and painted mine around the second week of Dec. Lots of rain, snow and road salt over the last month and half and they still look perfect! No problems in the car wash either!
Old 01-29-2009, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BIG JOHN
I have the 500's on Smittybilt windshield brackets. I hated the white covers! I ended up painting them with flat black spray paint! If you use a good quality brand, it will hold up. I installed and painted mine around the second week of Dec. Lots of rain, snow and road salt over the last month and half and they still look perfect! No problems in the car wash either!
Cool,what brand paint did you use? Sounds like a plan if I can`t find the mopar/hella covers.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Alternative

You cant buy the covers seperately I tried to convince the dealership but they only come with the lights only ordered by mopar. However you can buy stone guards online in black that say hella (they resemble the KC ones without the huge white KC on them)

Dan
Old 01-30-2009, 01:57 PM
JK Freak

Spray paint will only hold up until you remove the covers, then it cracks and peels right off. Been doing this since '96 with the stupid white Hella covers....it's too easy just to reshoot them when you're done to try anything else....I've tried just about every spray paint too inc. the truck liners crap I have on them now. I do want to try the plastic specific spray paint to see how that holds up!
Old 01-30-2009, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dmerk524
You cant buy the covers seperately I tried to convince the dealership but they only come with the lights only ordered by mopar. However you can buy stone guards online in black that say hella (they resemble the KC ones without the huge white KC on them)

Dan
I want the ones I pictured..here we have to completley cover the windshield lights when on public roads.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by swanni06
Cool,what brand paint did you use? Sounds like a plan if I can`t find the mopar/hella covers.
Krylon flat black.
Seal20 said the paint would crack and peel off when you remove the covers. I've removed mine 5-6 time since I painted them and no issues.
I did one extra step in the painting process that might of effect the quality...
after each coat of paint I used a heat gun to dry them. Maybe the heat helped the adhesion process. I did four coats this way.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah I was trying to remember the krylon paint..they make a line of paint just for plastic.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used bedliner paint.. it looked sweet. but when trying to take them off the plastic bends or warps and the paint comes right off. they are now in the trash. i want some black grill ones.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah I already bought some off amazon..$57 shipped is not a bad price at all.I just like the black covers on the mopars

Quick Reply: Hella 500 mopar light covers