Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Headunit ???

Old 11-13-2012, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headunit ???

Hey All, I'm new to the forum and a new JK owner (just purchased a used 4 door rubicon 2011). I am trying to connect my Bluetooth device to the headunit and when I push the phone icon on the unit it tells me that I have to "attach usb mass storage device with update file to system connector and try again" . My current application is 23.04.41 (not sure if this is the most recent update). I called Uconnect but they directed me to the dealership. Is there an update? I have searched for hours on the forum, but haven't found anyone this problem. Any help would be appraciated.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I would go to the dealer and see what they say. You might need to plug your phone into your head unit with a usb cord
Old 11-13-2012, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Ya, I tried to hook my phone up to the unit. Looks like the dealership may be my only option.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by rjjff
Hey All, I'm new to the forum and a new JK owner (just purchased a used 4 door rubicon 2011). I am trying to connect my Bluetooth device to the headunit and when I push the phone icon on the unit it tells me that I have to "attach usb mass storage device with update file to system connector and try again" . My current application is 23.04.41 (not sure if this is the most recent update). I called Uconnect but they directed me to the dealership. Is there an update? I have searched for hours on the forum, but haven't found anyone this problem. Any help would be appraciated.
Do you know which radio you have? On the bottom left corner there are 3 letters. Those letters will tell us which radio you have.

Also, do you know if you have the Uconnect module installed in your vehicle? All radios come with a phone button, but some of them you need to have the additional UConnect installed to be able to connect your phone.

Also, which phone do you have? Not all phones may be compatible.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Do you know which radio you have? On the bottom left corner there are 3 letters. Those letters will tell us which radio you have.

Also, do you know if you have the Uconnect module installed in your vehicle? All radios come with a phone button, but some of them you need to have the additional UConnect installed to be able to connect your phone.

Also, which phone do you have? Not all phones may be compatible.

Bottom three letters are RHB. I'm not sure if I have Uconnect or not, after I push the button it asks me to connect to the usb port. It won't allow me to go any further than that so I don't know if my phone is compatible, but it is a fairly new Droid.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator

OK, the RHB is a MyGig navi touch screen unit. It requires an external Uconnect module for Bluetooth to work. If by chance you have a window sticker, this additional item would be listed as "Connectivity package". It is very well possible that you don't have the connectivity package installed to be able to use Uconnect.

Instead of pressing the Phone button, try pressing the "Menu" button. Within there you should find an additional system setup button, where you then want to look for "Phone Pairing". You need to "Pair" your phone. If there are no phone pairing menu items in the system setup menu, then it's a very good chance you don't have the Uconnect connectivity package in your JK to be able to use Bluetooth.

Do you know how to do bluetooth pairing with your phone and another device? That can be a bit tricky if you have never done it before.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:04 PM
JK Newbie

OK, the RHB is a MyGig navi touch screen unit. It requires an external Uconnect module for Bluetooth to work. If by chance you have a window sticker, this additional item would be listed as "Connectivity package". It is very well possible that you don't have the connectivity package installed to be able to use Uconnect.

Instead of pressing the Phone button, try pressing the "Menu" button. Within there you should find an additional system setup button, where you then want to look for "Phone Pairing". You need to "Pair" your phone. If there are no phone pairing menu items in the system setup menu, then it's a very good chance you don't have the Uconnect connectivity package in your JK to be able to use Bluetooth.

Do you know how to do bluetooth pairing with your phone and another device? That can be a bit tricky if you have never done it before.
No, I don't have the window sticker. I did try pressing the menu button and found nothing that said "phone pairing". Although on the initial startup menu when I turn the jeep on it shows "JEEP" , below it is has "Uconnect" .
Old 11-15-2012, 04:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really ???

To the OP look at your steering wheel. The bottoms on the left side do you have the phone and VR button ?

Also when your door is open do you get a message under your speedometer "Door Ajar"

If yes to both then your JK Came factory with the connectivity package
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1519305518.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	388961  
Old 11-16-2012, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Chadc880
Really ???
Try to get on with your life.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-16-2012 at 03:49 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rjjff
No, I don't have the window sticker. I did try pressing the menu button and found nothing that said "phone pairing". Although on the initial startup menu when I turn the jeep on it shows "JEEP" , below it is has "Uconnect" .
If you can't find a way to pair the phone, then you have no way of being able to use BlueTooth or Uconnect. The 1st step in being able to use bluetooth is that you need to pair your phone with the radio. So your JK probably does not have the separate Uconnect module installed. It would probably be a good idea to find the owner's manual which should guide you through the pairing of the phone steps, just to make sure you haven't overlooked something.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-16-2012 at 03:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Headunit ???