Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Headrest monitor help

Old 05-03-2012, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headrest monitor help

Hey guys

I put the 7" alpine screens in my headrests. Just wondering from those that have done a similar install. Any tips on running the wire down the seat back?

Anyway to get the grey plastic "collar" that the posts go into off the seat?

Any tips would be awesome

Thanks Jesse
Old 05-03-2012, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by green10
Hey guys

I put the 7" alpine screens in my headrests. Just wondering from those that have done a similar install. Any tips on running the wire down the seat back?

Anyway to get the grey plastic "collar" that the posts go into off the seat?

Any tips would be awesome

Thanks Jesse
I did this on my 08 Wrangler. Same monitors - Love them! Still have the monitors mounted into factory headrests (Might end up selling them).

I was able to feed the wire through the back of the seat. I pressed down on the material under those collars and fished the wire. It was surprisingly easy.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

I'll give that a shot

I had them installed for a few months and haven't even tried to run the wires. I thought it was going to be a giant hassle.

Thanks for the help.

Jesse
Old 05-08-2012, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any pics of the install? My kids would love for me to do this, but I've been afraid of how it would look. I'm not interested in changing out the entire headrest.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up getting the entire replacement headrests that have the Zip up flap. That way you cant tell they are there unless they are opened. The wire on those runs down through the post and I fished it down through the seat and through the center console and then tied into the power port.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

I did this in mine....and also re-skinned my seats with Katskin leathers at a later time. So, I'm kind of familiar with the seats.

Feeding a wire up from the bottom and through that headrest post hole is not an easy task. Trust me, that's how I did it the 1st time before I did the Katskin leather install. You'll spend all day with a snake trying to get it to bend in the right position.

Here's how to do it. At the bottom of the seat (where the seat folds) is a plastic J hook. Take a flat head screw driver, slide it along the plastic and unhook it. This will separate the front from the back. Now just roll the seat fabric up like you're taking off a condom. On the inside of the seat fabric there is just velcro on the front holding it in place.

Now run your wires anyway you want and slide it through the top post hole. Do the reverse to re-assemble. The hardest part will be trying to refasten the J hook at the bottom of the seat. I hooked it on one side and then used the flat head screw driver and slid it along.

Thankfully, with the Katskin seat skins, they don't use that damn J hook which is a bitch to re-hook. They use zippers instead. Infact.....do yourself a favor and buy a set of Katzskin leather skins while you're at it and throw that cheap fabric crap away. If you go ahead and do that....be sure to add some heated seat pads while you're at it. That's one thing, I wish I had done when I had the skins completely off before I put the leather on.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just bought pre done new headrests off Ebay. They were cheap and they work great.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jsands
I just bought pre done new headrests off Ebay. They were cheap and they work great.
Which brand/model?

Quick Reply: Headrest monitor help