Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

headlights question

Old 02-04-2012, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which 7" replacements/conversions require modification to fit the JK's factory housing(2012)? I've read that JW Speakers do. Are the new TL LED's out yet(they show new on their site)? Anyone use the TL "bulb replaceable" headlamp?
Old 02-04-2012, 02:02 PM
JK Freak

I'm glad I came across this thread. I hadn't really considered using alternate H4 bulbs with the IPF housings. At quadratec you can purchase just the IPF housings and adapters without bulbs for around 65 bucks. With new Sylvania H4 bulbs, that brings the total replacement cost to around 95 bucks; not too shabby.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z0SICk
Tim just curious where you purchased your Cibie's, bulbs, and upgraded harnesses???? Looks like my next upgrade........
Daniel Stern. Kind of an odd fellow in terms of his "Loose" communication skills but the man has a wealth of information and will take the time to educate and answer any lighting questions you may have.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Riptide
Any sort of HID projector setup will require some cutting to get it to fit. The Cibies/Hella's etc will fit right in with no modification.
I like the Cibies, just wondering if there is something similar but newer/better.

Anyone ever try Trucklite 7"Bulb Replaceable?
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...8751&langId=-1
Click image for larger version

Name:	27012-hr.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	274157
Old 02-05-2012, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by burbingus
I'm glad I came across this thread. I hadn't really considered using alternate H4 bulbs with the IPF housings. At quadratec you can purchase just the IPF housings and adapters without bulbs for around 65 bucks. With new Sylvania H4 bulbs, that brings the total replacement cost to around 95 bucks; not too shabby.
Except the Sylvania bulbs aren't as good as the IPF's. Maybe look at the Phillips xtreme
Old 02-05-2012, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Yep the IPF's are waaay better than stock
The IPFs through a brighter light then stock but the output is bad. You loose a lot of light out to the sides. There are a lot better options out there cheap and one of the best fixes is the cibies with a good bulb. You can buy them at places other then DS.
The next best or first best depending on how you look at it is JW Speaker long life and the light output is almost as good as the cibies. Trucklights are coming out with a new product if you want them I would wait as there current version is not as good as the above for light output.
Google this stuff off the forum you will find some light shoot outs that show why I say the above.
Stay away from HID bulbs in your stock housing it just makes driving harder for others on the road.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Riptide
Unless that's their new LED light, there's really no reason to even consider it. The chances of it being better than the Cibies or Hella's are pretty low. And while Cibies might be out of ones price range, a set of Hella's is like $80. There's really no reason to look much further unless you're looking to test them.
$ wasn't the concern, there are so many 7" lamps out there...curiosity getting the better of me..., it sounds like Cibies are the ones for me.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

Default Cibies work well

I replaced the OEM headlight wiring with a harness from Susquehanna Motorsports, via Daniel Stern lighting. I replaced the OEM headlights with Cibie E- and DOT-code lenses and the bulbs with Osram BILUX H4 Off Road bulbs. I have a much better beam pattern and the road is better lit than it was with the OEM lamps, but there are dark spots in the pattern which lead to eye fatigue. (I frequently drive after dark, for many hours). The Truck Light LEDs show the same type of dark spots, so I would be reluctant to spend so much money for a little improvement.

The low-beam filament of one of the Osrams broke after about 2 months of use. I replaced it with a cheap Sylvannia bulb as a roadside repair. When the other Osram bulb fails, I'll try Silverstars and see how they last.

Contact Daniel Stern and he'll set you up with a good rig. I'm quite pleased with the current configuration, but I wish the high output bulbs would last longer. Replacing the bulbs on the Jeep is a PITA.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mopar2Ya
$ wasn't the concern, there are so many 7" lamps out there...

I was thinkin' the same thing but remembered CiBie's have been tried and true proven since the 1970's and still kick fanny and take names .... (and give those names to other people <-Thanks Family Guy). Yeah I am a fanboy but Jeepers have used em for years and I cannot imagine my Jeep without them as it was probably the first mod I did. If that helps ya out any.

Quick Reply: headlights question