Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

headlights question

Old 02-04-2012, 01:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished installing the IPF 920H4 kit and it is definitely better than stock. I took some pictures driving down the road for before/after shots, but they dont do it justice at all. In fact, in the pictures it almost looks as if the stock lights put out more light and that the IPF puts out less light but at a brighter cooler. But this is not really the case at all. The IPF kit is much better than the stock setup.

Pictures were taken at the same time of night but about a week apart and the LOW Beams. That's actually snow on the side of the road in the IPF picture.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by aaron97
I just finished installing the IPF 920H4 kit and it is definitely better than stock. I took some pictures driving down the road for before/after shots, but they dont do it justice at all. In fact, in the pictures it almost looks as if the stock lights put out more light and that the IPF puts out less light but at a brighter cooler. But this is not really the case at all. The IPF kit is much better than the stock setup.

Pictures were taken at the same time of night but about a week apart and the LOW Beams. That's actually snow on the side of the road in the IPF picture.
Yep the IPF's are waaay better than stock
Old 02-04-2012, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Personally I'd grab the Cibies and harness and you're good to go. The beam shots I've seen of the Cibies are amazing. This will also be the first upgrade to my 2012 that I'm grabbing next week.

Edit: I see that the money isn't the deciding factor. Have a look at the JWs, or perhaps wait for TLs new LEDs. LEDs definitely have the cool factor covered. I've heard lots of really good things about JW LEDs. But personally I'd still go with the Cibies.[/QUOTE]

I agree with Riptide on the Cibie kit! Installed mine over a week ago! Money well spent.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:53 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Red Belly

I agree with Riptide on the Cibie kit! Installed mine over a week ago! Money well spent.
Did you get "E" or "Z" Cibies? I wondering if tracking down the Z's is worth it. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CibIe's ... Been a year now and probably the best mod I ever did (Even over lift / tires / gears) as it is just amazing the light output of these things. I am actually using h4 Silverstar ZXE bulbs now (60 / 55W=135 / 125W) which is a lower wattage bulb from what I had in them before. I was runing a set of 70/85W osrams but broke one when I was re-routing the upgrade harness. I got a set of the ZXE bulbs and my CiBiEs now outperform my buddy's H.I.D setup in his YJ. It truly is sick and I have them aimed perfectly without any oncoming traffic flashes
Old 02-04-2012, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sharkey
Did you get "E" or "Z" Cibies? I wondering if tracking down the Z's is worth it. Thanks.
I got the "E". I don't think they produce the "Z" anymore. I searched the internet and no luck! I also asked a friend who's a Fire Brigade in London, but couldn't find 'em. Contact DS, he might know something...

Last edited by Red Belly; 02-04-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor
CibIe's ... Been a year now and probably the best mod I ever did (Even over lift / tires / gears) as it is just amazing the light output of these things. I am actually using h4 Silverstar ZXE bulbs now (60 / 55W=135 / 125W) which is a lower wattage bulb from what I had in them before. I was runing a set of 70/85W osrams but broke one when I was re-routing the upgrade harness. I got a set of the ZXE bulbs and my CiBiEs now outperform my buddy's H.I.D setup in his YJ. It truly is sick and I have them aimed perfectly without any oncoming traffic flashes
Hey, ToolManTimTaylor! If you're interested, you can also try these: BP1210/H4 (80/100W) or BP1213/H4 (100/130W) as a backup, cost $9-12 bucks ea. from your local NAPA stores. I have the BP1210/H4's as a spare, I've tried and compared with the Osram's 70/85 side by side and didn't noticed any difference on brightness. But, I could be wrong with their wattage...As the labels doesn't indicate.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delux2769
Sylvania bulbs. They're cheap and a hellova lot better than the OEM bulbs. I also replaced my fogs with them and the whole setup is lighter.
Did u find the light better to be stronger? I bought the extreme gold bulbs, or whatever they were called, and compared my lights, with stock bulb on right and sylvania on the left. I found them to be identical in I ,power, in the field I was shining them on. I'm no genius about light, watts, etc....but saw that the sylvanias are 55w as we're the OEM bulbs. So I took them back And saved myself $60. Was I missing something? What year JKs do u guys have that are running sylvanias? I'm in a 2011...did jeep change lights with that year from prior years?

Last edited by JC's Unlimited; 02-04-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Red! I could run the higher wattage bulbs (As I do after all have the upgraded harness so I can do so) but I can tell you with absolute certainty that the ZXE h4 bulbs in the CiBie housings is just flat out nutron star bright lol. I found the Osrams to be a much warmer light just like the OEM ... Just massive ammounts of it LOL. I have some night vision issues lately so the pure white output of the ZXE's help dramatticly.

For the guys reading this thread ... the reason for an upgraded harness is NOT just to merly change bulb style. It is to take power directly from the battery through proper heavy gauge wire through a set of relays. This allows you to upgrade wattage without melting the OEM plugs, take strain off the OEM wiring that is designed for stock lighting only. .... Just a note.

Also the advantage of a proper headlamp conversion over H.I.D is if you pop a bulb on a trip ..... FeDex does not need to airdrop a new ballast to you on the trail at night ..... just pop in a new bulb
Old 02-04-2012, 12:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor
Thanks Red! I could run the higher wattage bulbs (As I do after all have the upgraded harness so I can do so) but I can tell you with absolute certainty that the ZXE h4 bulbs in the CiBie housings is just flat out nutron star bright lol. I found the Osrams to be a much warmer light just like the OEM ... Just massive ammounts of it LOL. I have some night vision issues lately so the pure white output of the ZXE's help dramatticly.

For the guys reading this thread ... the reason for an upgraded harness is NOT just to merly change bulb style. It is to take power directly from the battery through proper heavy gauge wire through a set of relays. This allows you to upgrade wattage without melting the OEM plugs, take strain off the OEM wiring that is designed for stock lighting only. .... Just a note.

Also the advantage of a proper headlamp conversion over H.I.D is if you pop a bulb on a trip ..... FeDex does not need to airdrop a new ballast to you on the trail at night ..... just pop in a new bulb
Tim just curious where you purchased your Cibie's, bulbs, and upgraded harnesses???? Looks like my next upgrade........

Quick Reply: headlights question