Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

headlights question

Old 02-02-2012, 12:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0SICk
I decided to go the Daniel Stern route and emailed them for their expertise. It's been almost 2 weeks now since I placed my order and for whatever reason now I can't get any reply. Has anyone else had this same issue?
Get your cibies and bulbs from Coventry West. Call rallylights and get the harness. One of the best mods you can do.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:57 PM
JK Junkie

Sylvania bulbs. They're cheap and a hellova lot better than the OEM bulbs. I also replaced my fogs with them and the whole setup is lighter.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going to have to look into the sylvana
Old 02-03-2012, 12:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprecballs
I'm going to have to look into the sylvana
I have been using them for several years now. And if they ever burn out, I will replace them with the same thing.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:21 AM
JK Newbie

i am confused about what to do as well. the four options i am looking at are below. at this point i've saved up some cash, so price isn't the biggest issue. its more of an issue of getting highest quality, most reliabe light for the price. if it is $900 or $300, i am willing to make it happen. thoughts?

1. JW speakers; bit concerned about flicker. also, any chance of harm to CANBUS system and voiding of warranty. also, i have a 2012. what about that airbag sensor?
2. New Truck Lite; hopefully available in the next month or so. also, any chance of harm to CANBUS system and voiding of warranty.
3. Rebel Offroad's new HID system; uses factory housing; cheaper; is it really that good?
4. Daniel Stern route
Old 02-03-2012, 02:30 AM
JK Newbie

I just put in the PIAA Xtreme white bulbs and I have to say they are much better than stock. I also use the Sylvania Silverstars in my wife's car and like them as well. It's all a money thing. How much do you want to spend.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cbboard
i am confused about what to do as well. the four options i am looking at are below. at this point i've saved up some cash, so price isn't the biggest issue. its more of an issue of getting highest quality, most reliabe light for the price. if it is $900 or $300, i am willing to make it happen. thoughts?

1. JW speakers; bit concerned about flicker. also, any chance of harm to CANBUS system and voiding of warranty. also, i have a 2012. what about that airbag sensor?
2. New Truck Lite; hopefully available in the next month or so. also, any chance of harm to CANBUS system and voiding of warranty.
3. Rebel Offroad's new HID system; uses factory housing; cheaper; is it really that good?
4. Daniel Stern route
Well if money is no object, then buy the biggest and badest thing on the market. For me, the answer is easy. What could I buy with $1000.00. A rear bumper and tire carrier? A winch? How about lockers or gears? New wheels would be nice too. For a little less than $K, I could get a front bumper. New fenders would be nice? Body armor and sliders are on the list.
Anyway, you get the point. I currently have $500 in aux lighting. And I have $60 in Sylvina headlights and foglights. I just can't see spending that much money on headlights when there are plenty of other things to buy. And a $60 investment will do wonders for what you got now. Just my
Old 02-03-2012, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

I too have been wanting to upgrade my 2012 Sport headlights as they just don't cut it and honestly I feel like I am driving with one dim headlight at best. My DD is 528i BMW so needless to say the comparison, well there is not one. From all of the threads I have read I think I want to install the new version Truck Lights when they are released. Does anyone know if there is a firm release date for them. thx in advance.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbboard

4. Daniel Stern route
1. There is no flicker if you install a headlight harness. There is no way it can harm the CANBUS or void warranty. Airbag sensor simply needs to be rotated 45 degrees.
2. See number 1.
3. HIDs are illegal. Factory housings are horrible and you will blind others.
4. Several people go this route and enjoy it.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
3. HIDs are illegal. Factory housings are horrible and you will blind others.
HIDs if done properly are not illegal.
If you just stick a HID bulb in a headlight assembly that isn't designed for it, that's illegal.
On the other hand, if you replace the entire headlight assembly with a HID unit (for example, the Xe7 or Xe7R from XSIGHTING LIGHTING [the aftermarket division of Sylvania]), that is legal.
A grey area is if you install a DOT approved projector into your existing headlamp assemblies. Technically, that makes your headlamp assembly as a complete unit not DOT approved. But since the projector unit is DOT approved, you might be OK.

As a general rule, as long as you aren't blinding people with your lights, your average cop isn't going to give you much hassle over it.

Quick Reply: headlights question