Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

headlights question

Old 01-30-2012, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlights question

I'm looking to upgrade my headlights on my jk but while doing my research I'm getting some mixed reviews. Ive heard some of the bulb upgrades burn out extremely fast and sometimes damage the harness.I'm not opposed to paying for an hid system or led system but I wanted to get some input on what u guys are running and if there's any problems with one particular system. Thanks in advance
Old 01-30-2012, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Subcribing and needing to replace my headlights?
Old 01-30-2012, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superspook
I'm looking to upgrade my headlights on my jk but while doing my research I'm getting some mixed reviews. Ive heard some of the bulb upgrades burn out extremely fast and sometimes damage the harness.I'm not opposed to paying for an hid system or led system but I wanted to get some input on what u guys are running and if there's any problems with one particular system. Thanks in advance
There is alot of different views on the subject.

JW Speaker - Amazing light output, amazing cutoff, long life, expensive
Trucklites - Great light output, very well priced
HID Projector Retrofit - Great light output, great cutoff, requires knowledge and skill to perform, still expensive
Cibie Housing and Osram bulbs - Great light output, small amount of glare, replace bulbs every year
HID Kit - Illegal, cheap, will piss off every drive you come in contact with, people will mistake your Jeep for a civic

Really just pick what works best for your desires and budget. Every single option requires a new relay harness due to the Jeeps pulse width modulation. Harnesses can be found from Susquana, Daniel Stern, 12 volt guy, or ebay.... again depending on what you are looking for.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:44 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have run IPF's and they are a nice upgrade from stock but, I now run Truck-lite LED's and they are oh so much better!! Of course, being that they're LED's, they use very little juice to get them going and are extremely durable.

Here's a complete write-up I did for them along with side by side comparison shots of how well they work...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ght=truck-lite
Old 01-30-2012, 04:10 PM
JK Newbie

The trucklites look awesome how much and where'd u get them
Old 01-30-2012, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

The trucklites look awesome how much and where'd u get them
There is acouple vendors on here that carry them, they run about 550. But I would STRONGLY advise you to wait. They announced a newer and improved model that is suppose to be released very shortly.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

A little steep
Old 01-30-2012, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

A little steep
Dont look up the price of the JW Speakers then. Ha ha

Your best bet for doing it on the cheap is Cibies and Osram bulbs.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:33 PM
JK Freak

My Stock head lights were horrible, so horrible in fact that on a dark, no street light road, there was a deer running on the side of the road to my front right, keeping right up with my slow speed. I didn't even see it until it was almost too late! As soon as I got home, I ordered IPF's. They were brighter, but I got it with those cool blue lights... I wasn't the happiest with them but they worked. They gave me that fake "HID" look. But, within a year, one of them burnt out so I replaced them both with some Sylvania Xtra Visions. The difference in brightness of those bulbs were night and day! The first night, I kept getting flashed by other car's brights as they thought I had my brights on! Thinking I had messed with the alignment, i did WOL's headlight alignment tip in his write up and I found that they were where they should be (I only have a leveling kit with 33" tires). Since Last October, I still get the occasional flash of brights from other drivers, but I can see very clearly.

Down side is, i've had buddies say that these bulbs only lasted them 8 months. But if they are this bright and not that expensive, then I can live with that.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

I decided to go the Daniel Stern route and emailed them for their expertise. It's been almost 2 weeks now since I placed my order and for whatever reason now I can't get any reply. Has anyone else had this same issue?

Quick Reply: headlights question