Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Headlight Upgrade Debate

Old 01-01-2016, 12:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read, researched, and got Trucklites from Northridge when they were on sale. In very happy and they work far better than the fancy headlights on our Grand Cherokee overland. My wife even commented as how Trucklites blaze down the road.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Speaking of headlights...lol. I've tried them all. Hid/projectors, deltas, Cibies w h4 n full harness, n now JW evo J's. Gotta say I'm sadly unimpressed with the JW J's. My Cibies w 65/55w bulbs are better n my 100/90w setup blow them away. Really disappointed cuz I wanna go led. I've heard maybe that the evo 2s are brighter than the J's, anyone else hear same???
Old 01-01-2016, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Kojack
Get truck lites. Speaking from someone who uses them ALOT in nighttime driving. I put on like 30-40k a year in the night. I do ALOT and my lighting setup works AWESOME. I wish the heated truck lites were out when I bought mine, but alas, they weren't
Will have to look into these. I installed the Philips +80 today and it is DEFINITELY better than stock. Casts more light (wider beam) on the road and is a shade or two whiter.

(No OEM shot, but this is the Philips taken from driver's seat, 25ft away from a white brick wall)

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I just installed the sylvania ultra something or other. Marginal improvement. The real problem as I understand it is that the reflector sucks, so unless the reflector is replaced, there won't be a WOW factor.
Exactly! I'd like the "wow" factor, which (I already knew from all the threads here and elsewhere) means LED or HID new complete headlight/wiring setup.

No problem, now I know first-hand. The Philips +80 is okay for the moment, I can see much better than OEM!

(Philips extreme +80 in hand and OEM next to it; 28092 Vosla H13 12v 60/55 W, also made in Germany!)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	829
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	633382   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	742
Size:	974.7 KB
ID:	633383  

Last edited by Thork; 01-01-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thx1158
I just read, researched, and got Trucklites from Northridge when they were on sale. In very happy and they work far better than the fancy headlights on our Grand Cherokee overland. My wife even commented as how Trucklites blaze down the road.
What did you wind up getting them for if you don't mind. I've not seen them for led than $325 (unheated) and without the flicker harnesses.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ctjeeper
Speaking of headlights...lol. I've tried them all. Hid/projectors, deltas, Cibies w h4 n full harness, n now JW evo J's. Gotta say I'm sadly unimpressed with the JW J's. My Cibies w 65/55w bulbs are better n my 100/90w setup blow them away. Really disappointed cuz I wanna go led. I've heard maybe that the evo 2s are brighter than the J's, anyone else hear same???
Yes, a lot of people say they are brighter.....but all they changed was adding a nice eyebrow of light. I am unimpressed with the JW as well. I did a side by side comparison with the TLs and they were much brighter and even beam pattern.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Kojack
Yes, a lot of people say they are brighter.....but all they changed was adding a nice eyebrow of light. I am unimpressed with the JW as well. I did a side by side comparison with the TLs and they were much brighter and even beam pattern.
Did you compare JW evo2 or J to the TLs?
Old 01-04-2016, 05:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cutman
What did you wind up getting them for if you don't mind. I've not seen them for led than $325 (unheated) and without the flicker harnesses.
Sorry I don't remember as I got a banks cat back and some other goodies for the jeep all from Northridge.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ctjeeper
Did you compare JW evo2 or J to the TLs?
The ones without the silly little eyebrows. but from people who compared the news ones to the TLs is the same reports. The truck lights have a more even spread, on both low and high beam.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

I'm not a big fan of the LED's in the city. Under street lights the LED's washout and you can't see the light, so you have reduced visibility. HID's in my Lexus and the regular lights in my Armada don't have that issue. In pure darkness they light things up nicely.
Being in Colorado, we get snow and the LED's ice over, this can be fixed with heated lights.

FYI... I have Trucklites

Quick Reply: Headlight Upgrade Debate