Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Headlight Upgrade - best bang for the buck

Old 11-17-2012, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack

I have the same bulbs. Better than stock, but you should really change to the h4 setup. You would be pleased. I'm ordering them sooner than later.
You can pick up the IPF kit without bulbs for cheap. It is a good upgrade over stock
Old 11-17-2012, 05:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same bulbs. Better than stock, but you should really change to the h4 setup. You would be pleased. I'm ordering them sooner than later.
Please let me know where you get them. I will take your advice. Thank you.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
You can pick up the IPF kit without bulbs for cheap. It is a good upgrade over stock
I will take your (and Kojak's) advice. Thank you
Old 11-17-2012, 09:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LidLess07X

I will take your (and Kojak's) advice. Thank you
I'm doing the same upgrade. Ipfs with a good bulb. More useable light without any problems. If you want more output from the ipf conversion, get the wiring harness.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:13 AM
JK Junkie

I'm doing the same upgrade. Ipfs with a good bulb. More useable light without any problems. If you want more output from the ipf conversion, get the wiring harness.
Oh, don't use hid, too many issues with flickering and stray light. Not worth the time to do the install.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already have the ipf upgrade with bulbs etc

Not as impressed as I should be...now if I get the right harness the bulbs will get slightly more power than the can bus provides yes?

Where is the best place to get harness and exactly what do I ask for?

And what are the brightest non blue bulbs I can use with my h4 ipf setup? I forget what bulbs it came with but they weren't as bright as I expected, I also tried the Phillips 80's

Matthew
Old 11-17-2012, 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

susquehana motosports has the harness you need if you are running h4 bulbs… if not they can build pretty much anything you need and they are very familiar with jeeps and their headlight conversions.

If you want to do it yourself all you need are the proper connectors for the bulbs and some relays… pretty straight forward if your ok with wiring and how a relay works.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am looking at the PIAA bulb upgrades for both my headlights #19618 and fog lights #15210.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Thugmufin
susquehana motosports has the harness you need if you are running h4 bulbs… if not they can build pretty much anything you need and they are very familiar with jeeps and their headlight conversions.

If you want to do it yourself all you need are the proper connectors for the bulbs and some relays… pretty straight forward if your ok with wiring and how a relay works.
I've already got the ipf reflectors and the h4 adaptor jumpers, so I guess what I need are some hella h4's that are as bright as you can run on the road

If getting the wire harness that gets its power directly off of the battery and just uses the factory harness to trip the relay I'm fine with that if it makes a noticeable difference in the beams brightness

Just dont see the need in throwing away the ipf reflectors

Is there a link to the specific harness because
susquehana has an awful lot of lighting options to weed through

Matthew
Old 11-18-2012, 01:48 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5

I've already got the ipf reflectors and the h4 adaptor jumpers, so I guess what I need are some hella h4's that are as bright as you can run on the road

If getting the wire harness that gets its power directly off of the battery and just uses the factory harness to trip the relay I'm fine with that if it makes a noticeable difference in the beams brightness

Just dont see the need in throwing away the ipf reflectors

Is there a link to the specific harness because
susquehana has an awful lot of lighting options to weed through

Matthew
The harness will get full power to the h4 and have heavy enough wire to run higher wattage bulbs. The can bus will only be triggering your relays then.

Quick Reply: Headlight Upgrade - best bang for the buck