Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Headlight Replacement

Old 04-29-2012, 07:28 AM
PGT
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

along the lines of the headlights, are there any clear lense replacements for the parking lights and side markers that aren't from Crown? I just put a set of Crowns on and they have a very "silver" look vs. clear. Better than stock, but I'd like a better option (that's DOT approved).

I'm still on the fence about whether to choose the Truck-Lite's or the JWSpeaker LED headlights.....hmm.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
So your the one! We could see that all the way up in Maine!

But seriously, do you have any problems with the low beams being too bright at night?

Matthew
no the beam pattern on the Hella's have a very good cut off so you don't blind other drivers and they do put out a lot of light but the it an even spread of light. I would have to say that my low beams put light out about as far, if not farther than the stock headlight high beams. Also I've not had anyone flash me because my headlights are too bright at night. The Phillip Xtream bulb is the max wattage that is allowed by law in the state of UT, so they are street legeal.

Also its been my experiance that the higher wattage bulbs don't last as long, my guess would be that they run hotter and filliment just can't take the heat.

Also the pigtail harnesses don't do anything to deal with the power modulation system. The system turn off and on constantly which will also shorten the life of the bulb also.

Last edited by grumpy1; 04-29-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:20 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by PGT
along the lines of the headlights, are there any clear lense replacements for the parking lights and side markers that aren't from Crown? I just put a set of Crowns on and they have a very "silver" look vs. clear. Better than stock, but I'd like a better option (that's DOT approved).

I'm still on the fence about whether to choose the Truck-Lite's or the JWSpeaker LED headlights.....hmm.
I'm looking for good clear lenses for side lights...vleds has nice LEDs that are white and then when flashing they turn yellow

Just need good clear lenses

Matthew
Old 04-29-2012, 10:43 PM
JK Newbie

I did Daniel Stern Cibie housing with a harness from Rallylight. Narva 100w bulb. It is night and day compare to stock. The set up was a bit pricey but super easy to install. I highly recommend this set up.

f
Old 04-30-2012, 11:36 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by nbdude
I did Daniel Stern Cibie housing with a harness from Rallylight. Narva 100w bulb. It is night and day compare to stock. The set up was a bit pricey but super easy to install. I highly recommend this set up.

f
I tried to go the cibie route with DS but wasn't thrilled with the response times on correspondence...

David at Northridge was super helpful

Matthew
Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

Default added phillips Xtreme bulbs

I just switched from the sylvania ultras to the phillips extremes and got a huge improvement in beam pattern and brightness. the original narrow pattern is now longer and brighter with a good cutoff down the road to not blind oncoming cars. I dont know how just changing a bulb can change the light pattern but it works.

I aimed them a litlle higher than normal and that created a gap in the pattern from in front of the jeep out to about 50 feet in front. I added Hella fog lights to my smittybilt bumper with H-3 bulbs and that perfectly filled the gap plus gave me some light farther out to the sides to give me more deer alert.

No oncoming cars are flashing and I drove at the jeep from a few blocks away in my sport coupe and wasnt blinded.

Happy so far.

Quick Reply: Headlight Replacement