Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Headlight Replacement

Old 04-27-2012, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently upgraded my headlights and went with Hella Headlights and a new wiring harness and also went for the Phillips Xtream bulbs. I got mine from ralleylights dot com the whole kit was about $275. I love the light output on the new lights and its a hugh improvement over the stock bulbs, mine are bright enough that with the high beams on at noon I can see the light reflect off of street signs.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:45 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by grumpy1
I recently upgraded my headlights and went with Hella Headlights and a new wiring harness and also went for the Phillips Xtream bulbs. I got mine from ralleylights dot com the whole kit was about $275. I love the light output on the new lights and its a hugh improvement over the stock bulbs, mine are bright enough that with the high beams on at noon I can see the light reflect off of street signs.
So your the one! We could see that all the way up in Maine!

But seriously, do you have any problems with the low beams being too bright at night?

Matthew
Old 04-27-2012, 07:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with just the IPF housing, and bought phillips extreme bulbs and for $90 I couldnt be happier. Huge improvement over stock, I wish I could use them more but I dont drive much at night.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:52 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bosox5
I went with just the IPF housing, and bought phillips extreme bulbs and for $90 I couldnt be happier. Huge improvement over stock, I wish I could use them more but I dont drive much at night.
So your Phillips bulbs, are they h4's and did you get the wiring adaptor/pigtail to go from the factory bulbs to h4's?

Matthew
Old 04-28-2012, 12:02 AM
JK Newbie

*Shrug*

Y'know, this thread comes up a lot, and the usual suspect solutions have all been called out...but for what I paid for 'em I am perfectly happy with the Sylvanias. Shit-simple install and made a very noticeable improvement over stock, especially on the highway. Once I appreciated the difference I saw no need to toss more money at OEM lighting solutions. YMMV.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:08 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by brownimus
*Shrug*

Y'know, this thread comes up a lot, and the usual suspect solutions have all been called out...but for what I paid for 'em I am perfectly happy with the Sylvanias. Shit-simple install and made a very noticeable improvement over stock, especially on the highway. Once I appreciated the difference I saw no need to toss more money at OEM lighting solutions. YMMV.
When I first put in the sylvania ultras I was pretty happy with them and then one night I was driving my wife's 2012 outback wagon and I was amazed at how much more I could see

That is when I made the leap to he ipf's and I just love the precision reflectors

It's a lot like replacing the factory speakers, when you have them side by side you can really see a difference in the construction etc

I always mention the sylvanias as a good first step

Matthew
Old 04-28-2012, 12:13 AM
JK Newbie

I suppose I still have no measure of comparison. The fiance has a 2010 Accent and it has pretty "meh" lighting as well, plus it's all...low to the ground and shit. Ew.

At any rate, don't guile me with your lighting sorcery, foul libertine! Mine pockets weep!
Old 04-28-2012, 09:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
So your Phillips bulbs, are they h4's and did you get the wiring adaptor/pigtail to go from the factory bulbs to h4's?

Matthew
yep, I got the IPF H13 to H4 Harness/lense and the H4 Phillips extreme bulbs. work great!

Last edited by Bosox5; 04-28-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Sylvania Silverstar Ultras work for me, can't beat the improvement for $35.00 on Ebay
Old 04-29-2012, 07:11 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bosox5
yep, I got the IPF H13 to H4 Harness/lense and the H4 Phillips extreme bulbs. work great!
Cool

I hadn't seen any Phillips bulbs that were h4's

Matthew

Quick Reply: Headlight Replacement